FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Psionic Weaponry
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Psionic Weaponry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Psionic Weaponry

Everyone has heard of the X-men, yeah? Well, for those of you who remember Psylocke, you'll get the picture of what I'm suggesting here. Or better yet, for those of you who have played StarCraft and remember the Protoss guys with the laser swords, you've got a better idea.

Pretty much what I'm suggesting here now is a weapon similar to that for Psionics, though I don't think I'd object too much for other people using it too. The items would be jewelry type things, made out of ocia, with guhnboru as the "power source". Yes, I know guhnboru aren't used for anything, but it would be pretty neat to be able to use this uncommon/rare gem for something. But that's jumping ahead a little.

First off, this is only available to level ten psions (fifteen for non) and goes by the skill psionic ability. Don't have the proper amount of the skill, can't get the quest. Anyways, you go to Gunther, ask him about quests and he tells you to find the pieces. Once you get them, you take them back to him and he shows you how to meld them together to form one of several things. This is where one picks the weapon specialization they will be following. You have several to choose from, each one represented with a different piece of jewelry. Bladed would be a bracer type thing, pole/spears would be an armband, throwing would be a ring, exotics a bracelet, and blunts would be something else. Not sure what yet. I also thought of archery (cuffs) and pulse (diadem/tiara). Anyways, you pick the specialization you want, we'll go with bladed for an example. Gunther takes you back and you being the process of working with the metals. In time, you create:

Code:
A glittering ocia bracer

Or something similiar. After the item is built, you would have to research it, which would then attune it to you, and make it work. Something like:

Code:
You feel your mind slipping into a trance like state as you probe the inner workings of a glittering ocia bracer.  After a moment, you locate the heart of the guhnboru, and focus your energy into it.
Roundtime:  120 seconds.

Your bracer glows brightly for a brief moment, then dies to a small sparkle as you break out of your trance.  It appears you should study it some more.

You'd have to do this a few times, just to start, until the messaging changes to something like "Your bracer glows brilliantly, the purple stone glimmering with an inner light". This would mean that it's ready to use.

Now you have the first step complete, and for the sake of the quest, it's over (Actually, the quest ends when you get the bracer). So you put it on, INVOKE it (or something) and you get ...

Code:
You turn your mind inward, seeking out the guhnboru in your bracer.  Concentrating, you send a burst of energy into the gem, which begins manifesting a wispy ethereal shortsword in the palm of your hand.
Roundtime: 20 seconds.

This is where it gets interesting. The shortsword drains your focus to use, and at it's starting stages, it isn't very effective. Maybe equal or slightly less then what you'd find storebought. However, it also takes a continuous 'string' of essence to keep the blade together. So as long as you have the blade manifested, you lose focus (The individual costs differ between each of the weapons, but it should be no more then 10% for the initial focus, and 3% maintenance for the polearms/spears). Your blade is useable just like any other shortsword, takes up one hand, swing/feint/etc. all works, it just drains focus. Oh, and being energy, it weighs next to nothing.

But this is where things get really good. Ten levels later, you manifest a blade and lo and behold, you get:

Code:
 A vague ethereal scimitar

The blade evolves as you gain in skill increasing quality and damage by miniscule amounts until you have enough skill to move up to the next blade. The initial cost to manifest the blade is the same as before, but this time the maintenance goes up a bit. This is like saying that you learned how to better focus the same amount of energy, but to keep the blade at the elevated state, you must expend just a bit more energy.

Mind, this is just a brief overview of what I was thinking, but to recap:

Pros:

You have a weightless (or next to weightless) weapon.
You have an evolving weapon that grows as your character grows before capping out at about level 75 (Whenever the skill cap for psions is and it's equivalent for non-psions).
I was thinking about reduced roundtimes, or bonuses near the higher end manifestations. Any thoughts? I decided against it because of game balance.

Cons:

You have a weapon that needs constant focus. It drains your focus to manifest, as well as an additional bit every so often.
The properties of ocia, as well as your constant attention, lower your psionic and magic resistances.
The weapon does evolve, but it's a slow process. You could easily get an upgraded weapon far before your energy blade would reach that.
Your weapon can't be upgraded by conventional means (Vale). I wouldn't see why an alterer couldn't upgrade it more ... focus the guhnboru so it refines the energy more or something, but it should be rare.
Your weapon can't be enchanted. It's just energy. Nothing for the hiepahred to 'stick' to.

I'll post more tomorrow, but I'd like to get everyone's (including staff) opinions.[/code]

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject:

it sounds awesome in theory and in application, but i really dislike the idea of anyone having a weapon that "grows" with them (let alone gains bonuses) because it then gives them a weapon they can use from level 1 to level infinity and stops there from being a reason to ever expand beyond it.

the idea of psionics being able to create psionic weapons that don't grow sounds cool, though. maybe give it a psionics requirement along with a weapon req to prevent a newbie out the character gen from having a level 100 awesome mindblade thig.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

I kind of like the way WotC presented levelled magic weapons; it's what I thought of as I read this, albeit the suggestion was a teeeensy bit more complicated.

And this has nothing to do with anything but I was reminded of it, but the Vellos weapons in Escape Velocity: Nova were cool too.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
it sounds awesome in theory and in application, but i really dislike the idea of anyone having a weapon that "grows" with them (let alone gains bonuses) because it then gives them a weapon they can use from level 1 to level infinity and stops there from being a reason to ever expand beyond it.

the idea of psionics being able to create psionic weapons that don't grow sounds cool, though. maybe give it a psionics requirement along with a weapon req to prevent a newbie out the character gen from having a level 100 awesome mindblade thig.

Me wrote:
First off, this is only available to level ten psions (fifteen for non) and goes by the skill psionic ability. Don't have the proper amount of the skill, can't get the quest.

And I was of the idea that each one would be attuned to the character who made them. Not to mention it would be impossible for a level 1 character to have a level 100 mindblade. My thought is that the blade would be manifested off the character's individual skill. Level 1 Joe Blo has 3 in psionic ability (which isn't enough to manifest anything anyways but in the event it was ...) he would get the lowest quality blade, not a level 100 Mindblade.

EDIT: I have no clue what WotC is, BTW.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I think WotC = Wizards of the Coast?
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Wizards of the Coast, yeah. Levelled weapons basically grow with the character who invests experience in them. As the character levels, the weapon can be endowed with enchantments up to an arbitary bonus cap, so you aren't perpetually stuck with yet another +1 longsword that nobody else in the party wants. Not that I'm bitter.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Investing time and focus and other things to upgrade the bracer.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject:

i smell another use for essence.
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Wizards of the Coast did a very good job making the enchantments you can get balance out. Sometimes a +1 keen flaming scimitar is better than the +3 longsword.

I like the psionic weapon idea. It also has the added benefit of you not having a weapon to drop, and saves on the wear and tear that use brings to your gear.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject:

Sooooo ..... any possibility of getting something like this done in the near future?

Pwetty pwease??

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Psionic Weaponry
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: