FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Defending against psionic attacks.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Defending against psionic attacks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Defending against psionic attacks.

I have been curious about how strong the critters in the crypt are at their psionics. Tukru Dreds and Whisps both use psionic powers against you.

I figured, being an Alteri Psionic with very focused stats and skills, that Xil would probably be pretty good at defending against them. I'm not sure what stats/skills play into your mental resistance, but her mentality and intellect were maxed, and her mental resistance was, I think, as high as any level 100 character could be with potions and all. She never ever not once resisted one of their powers. (If you want some real numbers, I'll gladly post them)

So then, when reaching 100, Xil was able to increase her magic resistance another 30%, and still did not resist a Dred. Are these guys set so that it is impossible to resist for anyone within their hunting range? I don't expect to resist every single one, but I'd think with proper training someone of their same level (and a psionic) should be able to resist them occasionally.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:

i don't think dreds or whisps use psionic attacks that take mental resistance into effect, right? they use the pulse-attack ones i thought, which you would avoid based on evasion + stats.
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i don't think dreds or whisps use psionic attacks that take mental resistance into effect, right? they use the pulse-attack ones i thought, which you would avoid based on evasion + stats.

Yea, after I posted this I realized that nothing ever actually resisted my powers, no matter how much higher they were. They just dodged the hell out of the scythes or lances.

So is mental resistance only for blind/mind wipe/paralysis? Hmmm I may be in a heap o' trouble here.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject:

the stats that aid physical psionic (and elemental) attacks are coordination and perception, with more weight placed on coordination. mentality boosts the damage (intellect does this for elemental).

you can find a nice primer showing what stats help what in combat under NEWS 16
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
the stats that aid physical psionic (and elemental) attacks are coordination and perception, with more weight placed on coordination. mentality boosts the damage (intellect does this for elemental).

you can find a nice primer showing what stats help what in combat under NEWS 16

Thanks, that's very helpful. Still a couple questions:

Did you mean to write "(intellect does this for Magic)" rather than elemental?

Here's the clip from the news:

Code:
[Magic/Psionic/Spellsong Attack]
Physical/Elemental: Coordination (primary), Perception (secondary)
Pure Magic : Intellect
Pure Psionic : Mentality
Spellsong : Charisma

>>Note 1: 'Pure' magic and psionics refer to resist-based attacks such as
blood siphon, blind, etc.
>>Note 2: Intellect enhances spell damage capability. Mentality enhances
psionic damage capability. Charisma enhances spellsong effects.

When it states that Mentality enhances psionic damage ability, does this mean only "pure psionics" or also all of the Pnysical/Elemental powers. Based on your post I think it means all of them, right?

Thank you again. I'm not in no heap. Yet.

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

yep, i meant magic more than elemental.

mentality helps all psionics. pure mentality attacks like mind wipe and paralyze as well as things like psychic hammer, gust of force, etc.
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Ah HA! All of this is very, very good to know.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Wei Wao wrote:
Ah HA! All of this is very, very good to know.

I agree! Thank you!

One would think I should have questioned this long before I did. Rolling Eyes But having caps made applying stat points easy.

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Defending against psionic attacks.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: