FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Roleplaying and multiple characters
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Roleplaying and multiple characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Yeah it works. It requires six votes, and multiple characters on one IP address only count as one vote.

while i think Gemrem works great for widescale nuttyness, there are quite a few times where someone is being obnoxious in a more private setting, and i'd feel dumb IMing a few people who aren't in the loop as to what is giong on just to ask them to also pray gemrem.

True, but in this case, I also don't know how reasonable it would be for staff to be involved, and if not, then how effective any GM built tool could be to you and yet not be abused. But, suggestions are welcome.

Wei Wao wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but doesn't Gemrem just make them stumble around and drop cash and stuff?

Yes. I wasn't suggesting it as equal to everything you're suggesting / looking for, but as a general tool.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

[quote="HR-Trevor"]
soundless wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Yeah it works. It requires six votes, and multiple characters on one IP address only count as one vote.

True, but in this case, I also don't know how reasonable it would be for staff to be involved, and if not, then how effective any GM built tool could be to you and yet not be abused. But, suggestions are welcome.

i'd be all for something like

::verb here:: GOOD/BAD ::character name:: ::reason::

if someone gets a bunch of GOODs, maybe a GM can take note of it and do something as a reward. like if a player is helping newbies, and over a month or so there's a decent stream of people giving a report saying that, a GM can go "you know, with all the good service so and so is doing, i should have Prince Aegan mail a package with a note saying thank you for being such a good public servant and maybe in the box i'll include a pin with the royal seal" or whatever.

inversely, if someone gets a bunch of BADs in a certain period of time, a GM can tell them "hey, people are getting a bit frustrated at you, so you may want to change doing X." i'm not saying severely punish (or punish at all), but in my mind if someone is acting so grossly inappropriate that it requires a GM intervention, they'd get the idea and quit it.
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:

This is a silly discussion. Stop thinking of ideas to spam GM's for things you can tell someone yourself. A good RP community doesn't have to tattle, or look to mommy and daddy to feel rewarded.

If someone is RPing towards a character based on the player, and you consider that faulty RP'ing, you can choose not to RP with them.

Similarly, if you have a problem with a player, you can choose not to RP with them or their characters.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
This is a silly discussion. Stop thinking of ideas to spam GM's for things you can tell someone yourself. A good RP community doesn't have to tattle, or look to mommy and daddy to feel rewarded.

i fully support the idea of informing the people who run a game who is doing a great job contributing to said game. i also like the idea of telling them who is causing more trouble than they're worth. it's fun to label that as a sophomoric tattling, but in reality it's being responsible to the community as a whole.

and it isn't like certain players can't just contact GMs via AIM as it is (not like that is a bad thing).

if anything, these commands would make it easier for the players who aren't fully integrated in the community and don't feel like they're capable of policing things themselves.
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

if someone gets a bunch of GOODs, maybe a GM can take note of it and do something as a reward. like if a player is helping newbies, and over a month or so there's a decent stream of people giving a report saying that, a GM can go "you know, with all the good service so and so is doing, i should have Prince Aegan mail a package with a note saying thank you for being such a good public servant and maybe in the box i'll include a pin with the royal seal" or whatever.

inversely, if someone gets a bunch of BADs in a certain period of time, a GM can tell them "hey, people are getting a bit frustrated at you, so you may want to change doing X." i'm not saying severely punish (or punish at all), but in my mind if someone is acting so grossly inappropriate that it requires a GM intervention, they'd get the idea and quit it.

I really like this idea about keeping the balance with a good/bad variable.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I don't really see how it would be 'spamming' a GM. Well, possibly the award side of it, as that far outweighs the bad. From what I'm noticing this is a rare case, but it happens with enough regularity that it is disruptive to the game. Now, seeing as how GM's sole purpose is to continue advancing and creating this game, why would it be bad to tell them when something is a hindrance to their handiwork?

As for notifying person or persons involved to cut it out, this rarely, if ever works. In my experience, if someone is stubborn enough, it takes GM intereference for them to stop their disruptive behavior. Maybe I've just been unlucky enough to deal with the unbelievably stubborn, but that's what I've noticed.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
Now, seeing as how GM's sole purpose is to continue advancing and creating this game, why would it be bad to tell them when something is a hindrance to their handiwork?

I never said it would be be bad to tell them about something that's disruptive on a regular basis. We can assist and report in these cases, huh?

What I meant was, I think it would be silly to set up a mechanic for collecting and tallying players opinions about everyone's roleplaying to have it either digitally or manually analyzed and scrutinized by the GM's.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini

Last edited by indigone on Wed May 02, 2007 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:

If someone is RPing towards a character based on the player, and you consider that faulty RP'ing, you can choose not to RP with them.

Similarly, if you have a problem with a player, you can choose not to RP with them or their characters.

While I can appreciate that you have the opinion that this discussion is silly, I can assure you that I do not think up ideas to spam GMs. I brought this idea up because there are a very few select people (who don't grace our little world on a regular basis, by the way) who actively behave to disturb the RP envirmonment on purpose and I think that we should have a way to combat this without just having to leave the area or squelch someone like this whenever they come around.

By no means do I think that everyone has to agree with me on this or anything else, but I don't think it makes us a bad RP community for wanting something like this.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject:

You are so very right, Xil. We -can- report and assist. But here's the issue. If it's happening again, and again, and again, by the same person, and I report to different GM's each time, there is a possibility that they won't know what's going on.

So, I report to Hannah one day. She takes care of it for that day, but it happens again four days later. It's trivial enough that she forgets to write it down for other GM's, and when I report up for the next time, I get Randall. He doesn't know it happened before, he takes care of it as if it was a first offense, but also doesn't write it down, thinking that he took care of it once and for all. But two weeks later it happens yet again, and I report up and get Morrigan, who also doesn't know this has ever happened before. What then? A system to combat this would be perfect, tallying up times so that the GM's know what and when this 'offense' occurred.

But, I believe in having good with the bad, and I've been trying to do a lot of things to promote consistent roleplaying. A system that has both good and bad sides to it, would not only keep record of who is being disruptive to the game but it would also give a reason for others to consistently roleplay outside of the dubious pleasure of getting an RPA.

.:* GM's names were used just randomly from the top of my head, and not for any specific reason other then to provide an example.*:.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
What I meant was, I think it would be silly to set up a mechanic for collecting and tallying players opinions about everyone's roleplaying to have it either digitally or manually analyzed and scrutinized by the GM's.

but as it is now bugs typos suggestions and reports (maybe not reports though?) are probably all put on a log, so nothing would change...
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject:

My biggest concerns are:

- It consumes a lot of staff time to properly weigh out and handle each case.

- It is inevitable that staff will be accused of playing favorites, intentionally targeting a player for the "bad" side, etc. That already happens on occasion with our limited amount of involvement.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I can speak from personal experience on occasions that I made a personal intervention to yell at someone because they were ratted out by a couple other players, only to find out later that the rats were the ones who started the whole thing.

Additionally (and I guess probably in relation), being in the majority doesn't always necessarily make you right.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

i'll outright say that in the 3+ (damn) years i've been here, i don't think there were any cases where someone was acting so poorly, RP-wise, that GMs really had to intervene

there have been crappy roleplayers (or moments for good roleplayers), but the good roleplayers leave the bad moment fast enough, and the crappy ones never stick around.
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Depending on the situation, I usually whisper to them. Like when new person includes an OOC reference, or term. I just whisper them, letting them know that people don't usually say they need 4000 for the next level or whatever. Most realize and correct their behavior.

There are some, yes, who just don't learn. They either don't understand the concept of RP well enough, or choose to disregard it. At worst, I don't RP with them. That is as close to shunning as I will go.

I can agree with both sides of this topic, both for informing the GMs (because it could help, in a small way) and with keeping it with us, the community of Haelrahv (because it would probably take resources the GMs need elsewhere). I will continue to do as I can, informing those who just need some guidance, and avoiding the troublesome ones.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Roleplaying and multiple characters
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: