FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
poison layering
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Alchemy & Poisons » poison layering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: poison layering

how come if i trip two poison boxes, i'm hurt a lot more, but i can't apply the same poison twice to someone?

instead of wanting poison to become uber-deadly with one strike (which i'm sure would unbalance something), i'd rather be able to at least stack it. right now the health sapping poisons work slower than me just outright stabbing something to death. meanwhile, two poisoned daggers + doubleslash would probably give it enough bite for it to be worthwhile (in my mind).
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject:

Black vial is slower on you then me stabing you with a lightweight blade?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

considering most PvC fights last under 30 seconds, it isn't like life-draining poisons can do that much damage before actual attacks take them out.
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:

I think the idea for the life draining poison used in hunting or PVP is to be able to connect once and stay hidden or avoid getting hit long enuff for your victim to die. If I was an assassin and used poison to kill my target, I would like to see a slow painful death. Layering poisons would just make them too powerful. If you want quick death then just do as you call it, "face shoot".
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
I think the idea for the life draining poison used in hunting or PVP is to be able to connect once and stay hidden or avoid getting hit long enuff for your victim to die. If I was an assassin and used poison to kill my target, I would like to see a slow painful death. Layering poisons would just make them too powerful.

there are very very rare cases where i would want my agent to hit something and then flee, knowing it will die later, especially in a critter case. why? because critters degen, and the fact that advancing to melee, striking once, retreating, and hiding would teach nothing at all.

and, besides, the poison doesn't generally kill the target. using my own [vit draining] poison at my own hunting level, it just won't kill after one application, even after pulsing the half dozen or however many times it pulses. the only time i've had poison kill a target is when tygerwulf used his black vial poison on my blades, and really if his poison at his level didn't kill a chith, there would be some even more serious vit-draining poison concerns going on.

it's good to know what you would want as an assassin, but as someone who plays an agent i would strongly prefer being able to have a profession-specialized skillset gain more use in the game in the combat context that is most likely to happen way more often, which is player vs critter (as opposed to player vs player).

i don't believe layering poisons would make them too powerful, especially because when hunting things at [my agent's] level, i kill targets somewhere between 4-8 strikes (which is 2-4 actual attacks if you take into account that my agent dual-wields).

while i love the idea of applying a single dose and letting it do the work for me, another issue is that it doesn't do that. i still have to actually attack and most of those times it's a critical strike and a destroyed vital body part that defeats the target more than the poison.

considering players can stack buffs until there is no tomorrow, i'm not quite sure why you feel stacking penalties would unbalance things.

Quote:
If you want quick death then just do as you call it, "face shoot".

my agent doesn't use guns. Sad
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

Soundless wrote:
there are very very rare cases where i would want my agent to hit something and then flee, knowing it will die later, especially in a critter case. why? because critters degen, and the fact that advancing to melee, striking once, retreating, and hiding would teach nothing at all.

Who said anything about fleeing after you hit it? That's just plain stupid. Especially in a critter case. Teaching? You were talking about how life draining poisons were not taking effect fast enuff because most combats are over in 30 seconds. I don't think they were made to be fast killing.
You're good at calculating stuff, go figure out the how long the poison will last on the critter your agent is hunting and after that time has passed hit it again. If this is about getting the quick kill then maybe you're looking at the wrong place. Go stack your weapons with freds or something.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:

those are great arguments.

sadly, that doesn't change that vit draining poisons, when hunting at level (for my agent at least), aren't doing enough to critters at level to make them worth applying, which is a shame because they're great in concept.

i'll also point out that, while i love the idea of striking something and letting poison do the work, it just doesn't do the work. i guess tonight i'll have to use the highest vit drainer i have on a critter at level to explain this. :/

since faster working poisons would be bad, and harder hitting poisons would also be bad (both IMO at least), the only thing i'd like to see is poisons being stackable, like with poison box traps and most other poison based things i've encountered in HR.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Alchemy & Poisons » poison layering
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: