FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
News System
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » News System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: News System

So, I'd like to get feedback on how you'd all like the news system to work in Live. By this, I mean the literal inferface in game. There are lots of options available, including how it works in the current game.

Other options include reading specific articles grouped by genre (ala DR, etc.) so you use NEWS PROFESSIONS 10 to read article #10 under professions (note that if this were put in place, "professions" would definitely be abbreviatable (is that a word?) and a numeric variation for "professions" would exist like NEWS 4 10.)

Pretty much anything is on the table, but I'm talking about direct interface in-game, not stuff with new front ends, etc. One of the goals I have is to have copies of most or all updates and articles available on haelrahv.com, but that's a completely different topic, so let's focus on the in-game interface only for this discussion please.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

ever since news search came out i found any problem i had with news vanishing, since the main problem is that i couldn't find anything ever. before i would have to go "was that tailoring tweak in artisan news, or tailoring news, or artisan tailoring news, or tailor tweaks or etc etc etc", and then go news all and try to find each and every article, but now i can just "news search tailoring" and get a much shorter list.

that, and a bigger thing would to just put all announcements here in news and all news announcements here. i can never keep track of if something was said here, there, or just as a global announcement that didn't really get logged anywhere.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
or just as a global announcement that didn't really get logged anywhere.

That's a practice I personally want to do away with, by the way. There are plenty of legit uses of announcements, but it's often used in a way that should addtionally be documented elsewhere.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see additions to NEWS show up somewhere on the website or forum. Of course, this could be done on the wiki, if whatever the problem with it gets fixed. For me, it's sometimes easier to check the internet instead of logging in and trying to find it in-game. Like when you're away from home and want to check on something that randomly popped up in your mind.

As far as actual in-game interface, I really liked the DR model. I'd like ours to be a little more organized, however...

Code:
>NEWS

Please select a category you would like to find news on.  For example, "NEWS PROFESSIONS 2" will yield news articles for Artisans.  Similarly, "NEWS P 2" will do the same.

**PROFESSIONS (p)**
1.  Agents     2.  Artisans   3.  Bureaucrats

**RACES (r)**
1.  Alteri     2.  Darju      3.  Eolai
4.  Human      5.  Jaddan

**TRADES (t)**
1.  Alchemy    2.  Combat     3.  Crafting
4.  Poisons    5.  Hunting

**EVENTS (e)**
1.  Festivals  2.  Merchants  3.  Politics
4.  Other

...Something like that. I just hate the massive 300 lines of text that are generated whenever you use NEWS. It's even like that over in DR, as far as I can recall. Grouping everything together in a relatively small space is easier to navigate and use.

I also like the idea of using letters instead of numbers to abbreviate news sub-sections. If possible, it'd also be nice to use "NEWS ALTERI" to pull up that sub-section as well. Speed of use and all that. But I don't know if that's asking too much effort to be put into the coding or not.

--William

ps: I think magic/psionics/spellsongs can be listed under the appropriate professions.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

The interface Brokyn proposed is what I was thinking when I read the first question. I'd have something to add but Brokyn pretty much covered everything I was thinking.

Organization ftw.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Also, it'd be great if outdated articles can either be culled from the system altogether or integrated into other articles.

For instance, if an article is about some merchant or festival coming to town, clearly we don't need that sitting in the system a year after the fact. The information will still be available either on the forums or, hopefully, on the Hael Wiki. Though, granted, it's probably not the best policy to rely on an unofficial website to keep track of things for you.

Anyway, yeah. IDEA.

--William

ps: another thing

If you use a model similar to what I suggested, it would seem like there would be a need to duplicate some news items across sub-sections. Such as if a racial merchant comes to time, you'd have to put it in the race's section as well as the merchant section.

I don't know if that's good or bad, honestly.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » News System
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: