FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Feats?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Feats?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Feats?

So, I was creating a new tabletop D&D character last night (Beguiler, whoo!) for a campaign I'll be attending regularly soon and I considered the thought, "Hey, HR should have feats!"

For those not aware, a "feat" in D&D is something you pick from a list and it provides a bonus or alters a game mechanic in some way. Some feats have pre-requisites such as other feats, certain skill levels, a specific level / profession, specific race or alignment and so on.

This probably sounds kinda like traits and flaws, but those are selected at character creation (normally) and have a trade-off effects. Feats are mostly or entirely beneficial, but you can only choose one feat every so many levels so they're a rare commodity.

I'd like everyone's thoughts on this concept for HR. I'm throwing down an example feat below:

First, a new game mechanic: Attacks of opportunity. In D&D an attack of opportunity occurs when a character enters or leaves a zone of space an aggressive creature "threatens". That is, if you walk up to an ogre to attack him, he can be entitled to a free chance to hit you for it, because you provoked an attack for opportunity.

In HR, an attack of opportunity would be a little different. When engaging or retreating from a foe, if the foe's next action/attack would normally occur within 2 seconds from the time you enter or leave melee range (or pole if the opponent is a pole wielder), s/he is entitled to attack immediately instead.

Possible feat - Careful Steps: By focusing more carefully when moving in battle, a character with this feat is not subject to attacks of opportunity.

Another possible feat - Battle Experienced: Normally a character using a weapon he or she is not skilled with receives little to no chance to hit based on a lack of skill. Characters with this feat are able to apply 50% of their skill in a chosen weapon type (selected when the feat is) instead. Example: Fred has 140 points of bladed weapons skill but only 20 points in blunt weapons. Fred wants to use a new hammer he found, and has the Battle Experience - Bladed Weapons feat. Fred applies 70 points of skill (half of 140) to his attacks instead of his actual blunt weapons skil of 20.

These are just example feats, I'm more interested in what we think of feats as a concept. Feel free to suggest feats you'd like to see though.

Thoughts?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I really like this idea, especially if there were "feat trees" you could work through. I'd also want both racial and professional feat trees. The more variety we have, the less chance of a cookie cutter format to form.

In a way, I also want some fluff feats. Purely for roleplay purposes. Whether it's access to a special verb, or simply a change in the wording of an existing verb.

Oh man, so many possibilities.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Now this is a solid gold idea. Reminds me of a D&D campaign I was in once where there 3 fighters and a cleric (Not the greatest campaign ever but...eh). Thanks to feats (Because the fighter's skill list is relatively small) each fighter was their own person.

I'll brain storm later and see if I can't think of some nice Artisan feats. But unlike D&D, I think feats should be a bit more difficult to attain. Maybe something like every 10th promotion, or 5th?
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Keeping this post separate from my last for a reason.

Is this an anything goes kinda feat system?

If you are taking suggestions, what kind of stuff should I avoid in my suggestions? Stat boosts? Skill boosts?

If it's going to be even remotely like D&D I don't think there will be any stat boosting feats, and I would disagree with them if there were some.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

SethVentril500 wrote:
Maybe something like every 10th promotion, or 5th?

i'd say every 20th or 25th. i don't think any character should have 5+ feats.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
SethVentril500 wrote:
Maybe something like every 10th promotion, or 5th?

i'd say every 20th or 25th. i don't think any character should have 5+ feats.

/seconded

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I said every 5th or 10th because in D&D (Which is what this seems to be based off of) You'll have 6 feats by level progression not to mention the 1 (2 if you're human) you start with.

Besides, if what I'm thinking Trevor has in mind is...what I'm thinking...Then feats aren't going to be overly powerful. A few small boons here and there, but nothing like "Best TailOr EVAR!" feat which gives +10000 to tailoring. And it's a way to boost your character build, as well as add some RP to your character.

But on that note, I wouldn't mind seeing some fluff traits and flaws separate from the beneficial trait and flaw system. Just as something to aid in RP's...Like Seth being minorly claustrophobic.
---
---
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

SethVentril500 wrote:
Keeping this post separate from my last for a reason.

Is this an anything goes kinda feat system?

If you are taking suggestions, what kind of stuff should I avoid in my suggestions? Stat boosts? Skill boosts?

If it's going to be even remotely like D&D I don't think there will be any stat boosting feats, and I would disagree with them if there were some.

I'm mostly avoiding skill/stat boost feats. Maybe boosts to either under special circumstances.

Back to top »
Hokius

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

w00t feats! The more dimensions there are, the more fun it is.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I'd want to see a complete(or even near complete) feat list before deciding on a 'spacing' method I'd be okay with.

-Chris
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

fast mind: spell prep wait time reduced by 1 second
fast hands: spell prep round time reduced by 1 second

calm mind: can MEDITATE to regain focus at a faster rate
breathing technique: can MEDITATE to regain stamina at a faster rate
control heart: can MEDITATE to regain health at a faster rate

(aka: you can MEDITATE, and when doing so, you can regain said thing faster, until you stop or your concentration is broken)

shorthand proficiency: can scribe/notate faster, but person reading it requires more skill to understand what is written

friend to nature: "dumb" aggressive animals do not attack you unless provoked

calloused hands: poison traps that prick your fingers are weakened

final blow: In a PUMMEL attack, if one of punches before the last stuns the opponent, player attempts to land a devastating uppercut/knockout blow on the last punch.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
fast mind: spell prep wait time reduced by 1 second
fast hands: spell prep round time reduced by 1 second

If we're going to have profession-specific feats, I'd like to see similar versions for Psionics and Performers.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject:

I've been playing with a list that has both racial and profession specific feats.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Feats?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: