FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Migrations
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Migrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Migrations

Has there been any consideration to having at least some of the critters in Live actually migrate across Haelrahv depending on the season? Mostly birds and some insects would do this. Sea mammals and some fish and reptiles would, too.

I guess the biggest problem is that there would have to be specific hunting areas in Location A and Location B where the creatures would shift between. And there would need to be an in-between phase where the species won't spawn too often in either location to simulate half of the flock/pod/colony/whatever not being around.

Of course this wouldn't necessarily be done for newbie hunting creatures, since that could potentially cause some frustration. Unless there was a secondary option (like with gamojabs and asapi being in the same location, the asapi could fly off and newbies can still hunt the gamojabs).

I think it would also be very awesome if weather could affect spawn rates. For example, things going into hibernation. Or not wanting to come out of their "homes" during the rain. Talk about the epitome of frustration, though.

This is probably all too much hassle and trouble for a MUD, or any video game for that matter. But for biology students, this would make our day. Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:

Cool ideas, but potentially frustrating ones. I think people might be a bit miffed if they had to cross reference tide charts, seasonal migration patterns, and an almanac to figure out where stuff their level is currently hiding out so they can hunt it.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Cool ideas, but potentially frustrating ones. I think people might be a bit miffed if they had to cross reference tide charts, seasonal migration patterns, and an almanac to figure out where stuff their level is currently hiding out so they can hunt it.

it wouldn't be that bad if it was more something very few critters did (and, those critters having prized pelts or furs or feathers or something).
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I didn't think about the amount of cross referencing something like this would require. I was thinking more simply, for the sake of implemention, something like...

"Oh, it's the season of Shadan, I guess all those chovn have flown south in search for a little more warmth! I better head for that city along the equator! Or maybe I'll just stay right here and beat up on these mamajuk!"

But I can see how even something as simple as that could be a bit frustrating, like if you just traveled somewhere to hunt something specific and then realize that it's on the other side of the world by then.

YARU LOLZ wrote:
it wouldn't be that bad if it was more something very few critters did (and, those critters having prized pelts or furs or feathers or something).

This, though, is where I think it'd balance out the frustration a little bit. Especially if their migration took them to a hard-to-reach location.

But then, I guess, you'd have to put in a bit of special code to say "Ok, these pelts aren't going to be worth very much between Season X and Season Y, but in Season Z they're going to be OMFG EXPENSIVE". Unless you're already planning on implementing supply/demand economics on everything, like with commodities now in Beta. Then there's no need for special code. Smile

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

If traveling means something in Live, it would rock if you could do pretty well just on importing/exporting things.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Migrations
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: