FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
yay first gripe!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » yay first gripe!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

1. Instead of a bunch of instrument specific skills, there are skills based on role. Performance is a general catch-all used by spellsongs as well as non-magic performance. Distraction and inspiration are used in conjunction with some abilities. Orchestration is used when multiple performers are playing/dancing/etc.

2. A lot of things are going to be more profession-specific in Live. Magic and Psionics are both profession-specific. Yes, NO spells for non Mages, NO psionics for non-Psi's. However, items (many player-made) that hold spells in them or that can temporarily imbue a character with use of a psionic power will be available. Telepathy will be available to all in a form yet to be determined for non Psionics.

The likely situation for magic and non-mages could be illustrated by this example: Joe is a mage and he makes a scroll of armor aura. The scroll can be used one time and then it's consumed. Tom the Tracker has no magic skills, but he has decent Arcane Artifacts skill. The scroll has been made so that it casts at the proficiency of a decent level 30 mage, but requires 110 Arcane Artifacts skill to invoke. Tom has enough, so he can use the scroll to cast Armor Aura at a level 30 mage proficiency on himself one time.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The likely situation for magic and non-mages could be illustrated by this example: Joe is a mage and he makes a scroll of armor aura. The scroll can be used one time and then it's consumed. Tom the Tracker has no magic skills, but he has decent Arcane Artifacts skill. The scroll has been made so that it casts at the proficiency of a decent level 30 mage, but requires 110 Arcane Artifacts skill to invoke. Tom has enough, so he can use the scroll to cast Armor Aura at a level 30 mage proficiency on himself one time.

Ouch, so there will be alot of non-mages carrying a boatload of one-use scrolls whereever they go? Will there atleast be more survival abilities for Trackers?
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
2. A lot of things are going to be more profession-specific in Live. Magic and Psionics are both profession-specific. Yes, NO spells for non Mages, NO psionics for non-Psi's. However, items (many player-made) that hold spells in them or that can temporarily imbue a character with use of a psionic power will be available. Telepathy will be available to all in a form yet to be determined for non Psionics.

I am very pro-this. A+.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The survival list will be looked at. I don't know what the result will be yet though.

As for scrolls, I wouldn't per se say a "bunch of one use scrolls", I'm sure we can make it more convenient than that, such as allowing you to put many scrolls in a container / book of some kind and pull a copy out for use when you want it. Perhaps casting from them while just holding the object they're stored in if it's a book or what not versus a backpack.

Of course you'll still need Mages/Psionics to make the scrolls/occult items you want and that will cost time and money.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

In the interest of not creating a billion threads, I'll just throw this in here.

Quote:
Disciples:
Perhaps religious icons and items that allow others to occasionally draw some minor boon from their god. While not a 'creation', Disciples will be able to sanctify weapons to increase their potency against the unliving.

What do you think about a blessing to increase a weapon's potency against the living? Of course, this would require an evil-aligned Disciple, and most likely the character using the weapon would need to be evil-aligned. Maybe good-aligned characters can only use the undead damage bonus blessing, too, while we're at it. I could see neutral Disciples and characters being able to create/use either blessing but at a reduced effect, though.

This is kind of assuming that Disciples will be able to adjust their alignment through prayers and communions and whatever else they'll be able to do. It'd be even better if Disciples could influence other peoples' alignment, too -- through preaching and whatnot. Evangelicals in video games are the best thing ever.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What do you think about a blessing to increase a weapon's potency against the living? Of course, this would require an evil-aligned Disciple, and most likely the character using the weapon would need to be evil-aligned. Maybe good-aligned characters can only use the undead damage bonus blessing, too, while we're at it. I could see neutral Disciples and characters being able to create/use either blessing but at a reduced effect, though.

This is kind of assuming that Disciples will be able to adjust their alignment through prayers and communions and whatever else they'll be able to do. It'd be even better if Disciples could influence other peoples' alignment, too -- through preaching and whatnot. Evangelicals in video games are the best thing ever.

Yeah, we'll probably go with some sort of system where sanctification is based on alignment. Characters will have a different alignment system in Live. You'll choose a basic alignment (good, neutral, evil) early on and you'll be somewhere in the range based on your actions.

To use an example for those familiar with D&D, it would be like choosing good, evil or neutral, but your actions determine if you're chaotic, lawful or neutral/true.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Just because I personally would hate to carry around tons 'o scrolls, is it possible that some higher level mages/psionics could do something like make multi-use scrolls? I'd rather for one 50 use scroll than buy 50 one use scrolls. heck, i'd gladly pay more for a 50 use scroll.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

When I said a container of scrolls, what I meant was a collection of scrolls that didn't stack up endlessly in weight. In other words, yes to your question, as long as it takes the work and money involved in X charges, I'm not concerned about how many charges it actually has.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » yay first gripe!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: