FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
fleshing out provoke
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » fleshing out provoke
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: fleshing out provoke

so now that things with provoke are going to be tweaked/updated/improved/fleshed out/etc and after hearing mickey's and beau's viewpoints on them, i'm starting a thread about provoke in the future. i like the idea of making this a viable way for performers to hunt beyond just weapons (a raving mob of fans attacking for eoceoe is awesome in my mind), so i'd like to get feedback on what is and isn't coming in terms of this list (just so i/other performers know what's coming):

1) provoke is sorta like a mental attack. it takes (i think) charisma and persuasion, but not sure what else.

2) there is not stealth check for provoke, but there probably should (and probably will) be one.

3) provoke is like any other attack. don't expect to be a level 50 guy that can normally provoke a level 80 critter, or whatever.

4) intelligent mobs (humans/civlians/guards/soldiers/etc) shouldn't be provokable as easily as non-intelligent mobs (animals/humaniod-like/etc).
4a) beau brought up how people can find it odd, roleplay-wise, to have a royal guard attack a royal guard, or an officer attack a civilian, and so on. i agree that it looks odd. but, i'd rather, in time, see messaging that points out to the average onlooker that something is up.
Code:
A royal guard one attacks a royal guard two!

A royal guard two exclaims, "Help! ::random name gen:: has gone mad!"

A royal guard one froths as he charges at a royal guard two, a glazed look in his eyes.

5) it would indeed be cool to eventually provoke undead via some kind of quest.

6) provoking robots? i don't think so. let's save that for a tech-gadget or something.

7) provoking doing damage: i don't mean if you provoke someone, landing a critical strike, but right now some mobs just take forever to kill each other. it would be cool if there was an option to provoke something so it could be angier (with less defense). it takes like 15minutes+ for a civilian to kill another one. they might just be big wusses, but it would be cool to incite a bigger fury in them.

8) provoking as a defense: it would be also cool if you could provoke something to be unwilling to fight back. this isn't exactly serenade, which just de-aggros them, but more giving someone a feeling to give up/die/surrendere/etc.

9) provoking critters that do more than just attacking someone (aka: lacad officers/possibly llanfair civilians): sometimes being in combat with something has effects that go beyond the one battle. if you fight/kill a LACAD officer, you get on the 'bad list' for awhile. if you kill a llanfair civilian, you get on talra's bad list and get (all?) errand points removed. instead of making things non-provokable because of these reasons, i'd rather make it so they can't be provoked on people. a bit OOC, but i'd rather see that than not have the option to fight them against each other at all.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm fairly confident that number 5 is already on Mickey's want-to-do list. I recall him posting a small snippet of this list awhile ago, but I can't find it. Maybe we should coax him into posting it again!

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Although I'm never very forthcoming about the projects I'm working on, below are some expectations you can have about the new area I've mentioned working on.

1. A fully functioning weather and climate engine with multiple environmental effects (as well as hazards!).
2. Interactive setting.
2. Six explorable sub-areas and a central landscape hub.
3. An embedded storyline.
4. Hunting for levels 100 and up (108+), in a hardcore atmosphere (no teleporting/Rifts, locating, Calls, limited "safe" zones, etc).
5. Custom-coded hunt-or-be-hunted creatures out for the same blood as your characters.
6. The potential for at least one (if not two) "boss" monsters.

This one?

##EDIT##No, not that one. I need to pay better attention. Still, definetly drool-worthy.

-Chris
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject:

I'm too tired to weigh in on much of that at the moment, but another thing to look forward to is alignment nudges based on provoking.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
I'm too tired to weigh in on much of that at the moment, but another thing to look forward to is alignment nudges based on provoking.

i knew i forgot something. Razz
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Off the top of my head: maybe provoke and lure (and serenade?) should require a bit of a focus cost?

While not really in the direction of fleshing the abilities out, it'll keep some of the abuse down (if the cost is significant, anyway).

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Off the top of my head: maybe provoke and lure (and serenade?) should require a bit of a focus cost?

While not really in the direction of fleshing the abilities out, it'll keep some of the abuse down (if the cost is significant, anyway).

--William

they do, goofball.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

If they do, I must be awesome. Because I'm not seeing any cost at all.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
If they do, I must be awesome. Because I'm not seeing any cost at all.

--William

lure a few asapi or something. you'll run out of focus Razz
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

bumping this!

is it possible provoke can boost the ability of the provoked target a bit, so it isn't just one long dodge-fest when the provoked guy attacks the same kind of thing they are?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » fleshing out provoke
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: