FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Stupidity In The News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Stupidity In The News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

It's quite interesting that anyone perceived as a threat is deemed "evil". For instance, Iran. Iran is most certainly a threat and a problem. However, we are likewise a threat and a problem for Iran. Some of the things Iran seeks, it is actually entitled to.

While they deny building a nuclear weapons program, it's difficult to believe that. However, I find it most interesting how it's become a global law that no one is allowed to build a nuclear weapon program, but no such law exists (or would be enforceable) that disarms current nuclear powers.

The real reason we attempt to stop Iran from having nukes is because once they do, we are nearly powerless to control how they do anything in their country. Invasion is essentially no longer an option. So we cover our intentions by portraying the country and its leaders as evil and by acting as if we have a moral obligation and mandate to stop them. It's all a lie to cover up our real intentions. But Iran's claim they are only using nuclear for peaceful purposes is also a lie.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
...and that we're a bit more intelligent now. Or maybe we (the global "we") aren't.

Unfortunately I think it has less to do with intellegence and more to do with human nature. I've known people of varying degrees of intellegence on both sides of the politcal debate, instead, what I think it has to do with is an ability/willingness to believe in absolutes. (I.E. absolute Evil, and perhaps even absolute Good)

Donald Rumsfeld wrote:
...any kind of moral or intellectual confusion about who and what is right or wrong, can weaken the ability of free societies to persevere. Our enemies know this well.

(Taken from his recent speech to the American Legion found here: http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=39720)

((edit: Way to type quicker than me Trevor, Bah!))
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Hedgehogs have finally humbled burger giant McDonald's after years of campaigning, forcing the company to redesign its killer McFlurry ice-cream containers.

Up to now the opening in the container has been large enough for hedgehogs to get their heads into for a lick of the left-over dessert -- a trap they have then been unable to withdraw from, so dying of starvation in untold numbers.

But from September 1, the wide-mouthed opening in the lid of the McFlurry containers will be reduced in size, making them too small for the sugar-loving animals to get their heads into.

"This is excellent, it is long overdue news," said Fay Vass, chief executive of the British Hedgehog Preservation Society. "We have been in touch with McDonald's about this problem for over five years and are delighted that they have at last solved the problem."

McDonald's said in a statement the design change had resulted from pressure from the society which prompted "significant research and design testing" to develop new packaging.

"The smaller aperture of the lid has been designed to prevent hedgehogs from entering the McFlurry container in the unfortunate incidence that a lid is littered and is then accessible to wildlife," it added.

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject:

Obviously McDonald's is not concerned about the goldfish that may get caught in these smaller holes. Let's protest immediately.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Court says $32,000 is too much to fondle bosom
Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 PM ET

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A fee of 25,500 euros ($32,000) is way too much for a woman to charge a man for fondling her bosom, a Finnish district court ruled.

The court jailed a couple in their twenties for more than a year for charging a 74-year-old who suffers from dementia a total of 25,500 euros to enjoy the woman's breasts on 10 occasions.

"Based on general life experience alone, it is indisputably clear that a 25,500 euro charge is disproportionate to the compensation in question," Judge Hasse Hakki, who heard the case, told Reuters Friday.

But he said the court in Kokkola, about 300 miles north of Helsinki, would not decide "the proper financial value of the compensation."

The retiree filed charges against the couple, who were convicted of extortionate overcharging, even though he told the court he paid the price willingly at the time.

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The three Wisconsin men who tried to dig up a woman’s body to have sex with the corpse aren’t in quite as much trouble anymore. A judge dismissed the charges of attempted sexual assault last Friday. Lucky for Nicholas and Alexander Grunke and Dustin Radke, all 20, there wasn’t enough evidence, and Wisconsin has no law against necrophilia. They still face lesser charges.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Code:
Trout death probe points to teddy bear
Updated 9/26/2006 12:03 PM ET

MILFORD, N.H. (AP) - A teddy bear has been implicated in 2,500 deaths -
trout deaths, that is.

State officials say a teddy bear that fell into a pool at a Fish and
Game Department hatchery earlier this month clogged a drain. The clog
blocked the flow of oxygen to the pool and suffocated the fish.

Hatcheries supervisor Robert Fawcett said the bear, dressed in yellow
raincoat and hat, is believed to be the first stuffed toy to cause
fatalities at the facility.

"We've had pipes get clogged, but it's usually with more naturally
occurring things like a frog or even a dead muskrat," he said. "This one
turned out to be a teddy bear and we don't know how it got there."

The deaths prompted Fawcett to release a written warning: "RELEASE OF
ANY TEDDY BEARS into the fish hatchery water IS NOT PERMITTED."

He said it's not known who dropped the bear, but urged anyone whose bear
ends up in a hatchery pool to find a worker to remove it. "They might
save your teddy bear, and keep it from becoming a killer," he said.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NEW YORK, Oct 26 (Reuters) - A new fast food is making its debut at U.S. fairs this fall -- fried Coke.

Abel Gonzales, 36, a computer analyst from Dallas, tried about 15 different varieties before coming up with his perfect recipe -- a batter mix made with Coca-Cola syrup, a drizzle of strawberry syrup, and some strawberries.

Balls of the batter are then deep-fried, ending up like ping-pong ball sized doughnuts which are then served in a cup, topped with Coca-Cola syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry on the top.

"It tastes great," said Sue Gooding, a spokeswoman for the State Fair of Texas where Gonzales' fried Coke made its debut this fall. "It was a huge success."

Gonzales ran two stands at the State Fair of Texas and sold up to 35,000 fried Cokes over 24 days for $4.50 each -- and won a prize for coming up with "most creative" new fair food.

Now other fairs in North Carolina and Arizona are following the trend, and other people are trying to emulate Gonzales' recipe.

Gonzales gave no indication of the calories in his creation and said he would not patent it.

"The best I can hope for is that it's the original and hopefully the best fried Coke out there," he said.

But Gonzales said the success of his fried Coke had inspired him. Next year's fair-goers can look forward to fried Sprite or -- for those watching their weight -- fried diet Coke.

"We are trying to cut a lot of the sugar out of it. It has less calories but it's still very, very sweet," he said.

Ray Crockett, a spokesman for Coca-Cola Co., said: "We're constantly amazed at the creative ways folks find to enjoy their Coke and make it part of celebrations like fairs and festivals. This is one is definitely different!"

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Way to go, Dems!

Quote:
MONROE, N.C. (AP) - A candidate for a county board who appeared in newspaper ads the weekend before the election sailed to victory with 12,000 votes - despite being dead for a month.

Sam Duncan was the top vote-getter Tuesday for two seats on Union County's Soil and Water Conservation board.

Although county elections officials knew of Duncan's death, no one told the voters.

"We are instructed that it's not our job to do that," said Shirley Secrest, elections director.

The Democratic Party ran newspaper endorsement ads about Duncan and literature distributed near the polls included his name. Party officials said they didn't know Duncan had died.

Former sheriff Frank McGuirt said he was one of the voters who helped Duncan edge out the sitting chairman who had served for about a dozen years.

"I was shocked to know that poor Sam was gone," McGuirt said. "I guess I had just missed that obituary."

Duncan's seat will be filled by appointment, officials said.

Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

It's telling you something when dead politicians beat Republicans at the polls. Especially since this isn't the first time.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand's high school students will be able to use "text-speak" -- the mobile phone text message language beloved of teenagers -- in national exams this year, officials said.

Text-speak, a second language for thousands of teens, uses abbreviated words and phrases such as "txt" for "text", "lol" for "laughing out loud" or "lots of love," and "CU" for "see you."

The move has already divided students and educators who fear it could damage the English language.

New Zealand's Qualifications Authority said Friday that it still strongly discourages students from using anything other than full English, but that credit will be given if the answer "clearly shows the required understanding," even if it contains text-speak.

The authority's deputy chief executive for qualifications, Bali Haque, said students should aim to make their answers as clear as possible.

Confident that those grading papers would understand answers written in text-speak, Haque stressed that in some exams, including English, text abbreviations would be penalized.

Post Primary Teachers' Association President Debbie Te Whaiti said the authority's move reflects the classroom situation.

Teachers would have concerns if text slang became acceptable in everyday written language in classrooms, she said.

Critics said the National Certificate of Educational Achievement or NCEA, the main qualification for high school students, would be degraded by the authority allowing text speak use in exams.

Internet blogger Phil Stevens was not amused by the announcement. "nzqa[New Zealand Qualifications Authority]: u mst b joking," Stevens wrote. "or r u smoking sumthg?"

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject:

I read this, and this is one of the worst ideas ever. Legitamizing abbreviated english (especially when there's not even a standard for it) is ridiculous.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I read this, and this is one of the worst ideas ever. Legitamizing abbreviated english (especially when there's not even a standard for it) is ridiculous.

Sometimes I feel the same way about the SEPERATE verb. Cool
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

Actually, the verb is SEPARATE and SEPERATE, both work. And honestly, it's mostly because I always fuck that spelling up. I always forget which one is right, and I'm too lazy to spell check it every time.

Back to top »
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

huh i b lost do u mean sepr8 or separate? Twisted Evil
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Stupidity In The News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: