Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Gem cutting profit
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Gem cutting profit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Gem cutting profit

I've noticed a few peculiarities with the gem cutting price system that I'd like to ask about.

For one thing there doesn't seem to be much (if any) value difference between the lowest/easiest cut of the circle, and the hardest cut of the trapezoid. This is assuming that Laiana's chart in the Lapidary shack is set up in a heirarchical manner: Circle, square, triangle, heart, oval, teardrop, diamond, rectangle, star, hexagon, octagon, pentagon, cross, sun, crescent, shield, pear, marquise, trillion, fang, tongue, egg, boomerang, cylindrical, and trapizoid.

Maybe all of these shapes are supposed to require the same amount of "skill" to execute, in which case I'll move on. There also doesn't seem to be much if any difference in value between the three levels of "craftsmanship" that I produce. These leves are: "fine", "beautiful", and "elaborate".

Here are some concrete numbers to show what I'm talking about. They're not flawless statistically because I crafted way more trapezoid shapes than anything else, and there are the (assumed) varients of color and clarity which I did not control for, but I think they illustrate a pattern all the same. All cabochons were made from turqoise: 7 blueish green 8 light green. and 3 sky blue.

The average selling price of 6 "finely fashioned/shaped/formed" trapizoids
was 222. A tongue however netted, 238 a tear drop shape, 237 and an oval, 235.

The "elaborate" cuts consisted of three trapizoids which sold for an average of 218 a piece. A Trillion cut sold for 219, and a teardrop and a quare each sold for 219, while a heart sold for 226.

Of the three "beautiful" cabochons a cylindrical shape netted 238 (it was bluish green) and 2 trapizoids (both light green) sold for only 217 each.

Of all these instances the lowest price was 217 and the highest 238.

Given these admittedly limited data points, there really doesn't seem to be much difference in pricing for either cut, quality (ie fine, elaborate, beautiful) or perhaps even color.

I would just like to make sure that this flat pricing scheme is intentional. I of course, hope that it is not, because while I enjoy the gem cutting system, it's terribly unprofitable. In 2 and a half hours I only made around 5k credits (not counting travel time). It really seems out of skew, in respect to tailoring, which only uses one skill, and takes much less time to turn a profit (especially with fabrics readily for sale).

So now that I've probably manged to bore anyone who bothered to read this silly, I'd just like to close by repeating that I like *alot* about the system, and appreciate all the work that must have gone into it (really I get a kick out of buffing those turquoise stones and seeing what color I get!). I would just like to share my information and thoughts, in case things aren't exactly as intended.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, gemcutting wasn't made as a money making system.
that said, it's better to focus on what gems you're using vs the shape.
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, faceting was intended as the money maker in gem cutting land, but that won't be seen most likely until live at this point. The intention with this system was more to have handcrafted jewelry not to be a giant profit maker. There are skill differences involved in different shapes but not price differences, that comes with the gems as was stated.

Honestly, the whole system needs an overhaul. It didn't turn out quite as planned and I'd like to implement some of the things you've mentioned in the revision, but that revision is probably not going to happen until live. I'll have a look at the tailoring prices see if I can tweak it to jive a little better. Very Happy

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies.

You're just awesome Morrigan. Smile I don't mind it not being a "money maker" there's plenty of ways to get that, I was just expecting it to work more like the pottery system in some ways.

The system as-is already allows for some pretty rockin' stuff to be made. The varity is great. Any chance on getting a preview of what additional goodies we can expect with this system in live? Like the ability to set multiple gems in a single piece?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject:

as a sidenote, people did pay pretty nicely for handmade jewelry (most of my stuff was sold to PCs for $2,500-5,000), so. you may want to look into who is interested in buying your crafts.
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:

Layne practices her craft for personal gratification and not consumption capitilist swine. Wink

I'm just joking of course. That's a good idea, and probably what is intended to be done. I personally just can't hack it when it comes to salesmanship.

Arrow "It is just ... the luxury edition has so much more eagle. It saddens me to think of you missing out."
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Any chance on getting a preview of what additional goodies we can expect with this system in live? Like the ability to set multiple gems in a single piece?

Perhaps Very Happy I'm definitely planning on putting out "earrings" as settings so you can have a pair, or make a way to combine two earrings into a pair. Besides multiple gems in settings, I'd also like to do some kind of wire wrapping, where you could just buff a gem and do a free form wrap instead of having a specific setting.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Gem cutting profit
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: