FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
New here
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » New here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnomom

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: New here

Hello, I just joined up. I've played Dragonrealms for about 6 years on and off and want to try something new.

Any suggestions for a complete new one? I rolled up a medic, (the smallest race, A something).

I guess my question is general starting advice. I'm sure ill have mroe shortly
 Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I rolled up a medic, (the smallest race, A something).

Alteri

As for advice...

Lots to do, even if this isn't the final product.

Do you intend to be a hunting Medic? If so, you may wish to check out NEWS 16 in game for stat info as it applies to combat. You'll also want to pick a defense(Shield Use is best, but you need to lug a shield. Parry is next, but you cannot parry projectiles. Evasion is least effective, but you can evade just about everything)

Medics are one of the best potion makers(along with Mages), so if you want to give that a try be certain to train in Ecology and Alchemy.

Medical skills, such as Medicine, Surgery and First Aid can be trainer in and around Majesty Hospital in Llanfair(Try DIR HOSPITAL). Medics also need training in Electronics(they use technology to heal, unlike Empaths)

Hmm. All this talk of training and I'm not certain you know how. Razz

First, you need to find a trainer that can train the skill. You can just run around Llanfair typing TRAINER or you can take a peek at Haidee's maps, as they label where some trainers are.(Though there are wandering trainers, as well)

Between her maps and the DIR command, you should be well set for navigating town.

More to come later. Smile

-Chris
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

can't medics also now use their raising equipment as an exotic weapon? might be worth looking into training exotic as your main weapon in this case.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
can't medics also now use their raising equipment as an exotic weapon? might be worth looking into training exotic as your main weapon in this case.

Why yes, they can. Twisted Evil

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gnomom

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Thank you very much for the replies.

I have been wandering around and have had great help from both Yavina and Sean.

I had a quick question though. Every once in a while I recieve a message such as your archery skill has improved. I type skill, but no change. Does this mean I may increase that skill higher now if i choose to train, or is it an artifact of an old skill system?

Thanks again
 Back to top »
Hokius

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

That has to do with the nskill system. Which is learnable, I'm not sure if it currently has an effect on your actual ability yet though.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Just to add on to that...

You can check your progress with the NSKILL command. However, this has no real bearing on anything in the game at the moment. Right now, this system is in place to gauge learning rates for skills for when we totally revamp our skill system. And before you ask, we don't have much of an ETA on the new skill system.

As a sidenote, you can use TOPSKILL <skill name> to check the top ten users for that skill.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Gnomom

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Great, another set of wonderful responses. Now you're just feeding a stray cat. Here's another couple questions.

I am playing a Medic right now and was hoping to be able to help those in need. Looking at numbers, there isn't a very large population around when I am,...do many people use medics? Other than for a cardiostim?

As a medic, would I earn more exp towards leveling by doing more 'medic' tasks, rather than hunting? I'm not nessacarily looking to power level, just wondering if i'm doing things wrong. I don't even know what I could do in a medic role at this stage of my training.

Once again, thanks for all the response. The hint to check nskills was a shot tot the pride, but what can I expect, i just started.
 Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
do many people use medics?

Quite a few.

Quote:
Other than for a cardiostim?

Yes. Wound healing is the typical need.

You will, eventually(you'll need to ask elsewhere for exact details) use dermal regenerators, optical pulse emitters, antitode injectors(not so much), neurolizers, cryosyringes and, finally, cardiostimulators.

Most are willing to help you buy a regenerator and such.

Eventually, Medics will be able to heal NPCs, as well, though I've not details on that system.

Quote:
As a medic, would I earn more exp towards leveling by doing more 'medic' tasks, rather than hunting?

Early on, your best bet at keeping a full experience pool will be hunting.

At some point, foraging things will work very well for a full pool(Though foraging will be a decent source of cash from the start)

Quote:
The hint to check nskills was a shot tot the pride

TOPSCORE
TOPWEALTH

-Chris
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » New here
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: