Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
'junk' bins
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » 'junk' bins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: 'junk' bins

I was thinking...<sings> A dangerous past time...I know!

Ahem.

Junk bins. Well. Not junk junk...but a container that will hold more than 16 items of certain things....they're hold a weight instead.

Example one:
* parts bin: holds 50 pounds of gadget parts.
* alchemy cupboard: holds 50 pounds of alchemy components/alchemy tools/so on.
* wood bin: holds 50 pounds of sticks/twigs/limbs/branches and lighters.
* sewing basket: holds 50 pounds of skeins/threads/material.
* filing cabinet: holds 15 pounds paper/crat files (the reason I say less is because paper weighs about nothing)

I would say that this type of furniture should take up 4 squares.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to quote Beauty and the Beast.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject:

The only way this would be feasible is if it's a case where the items could be reasonably unloaded from the game while not in use via recording their details, deleting the objects, and as needed, re-creating those objects. Generally the less data changes on an object type, the more doable this is.

Still, it is a time consuming job to load and unload objects from the game like this. I'll have to do some testing and see what options are available. If unloading objects were less resource intensive, I'd allow homes to store MUCH more items than they do now. But, we have to work within some technical boundaries. Fortunately for us, HR's engine has relatively few of these boundaries, but, it does have a few.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The only way this would be feasible is if it's a case where the items could be reasonably unloaded from the game while not in use via recording their details, deleting the objects, and as needed, re-creating those objects. Generally the less data changes on an object type, the more doable this is.

Still, it is a time consuming job to load and unload objects from the game like this. I'll have to do some testing and see what options are available. If unloading objects were less resource intensive, I'd allow homes to store MUCH more items than they do now. But, we have to work within some technical boundaries. Fortunately for us, HR's engine has relatively few of these boundaries, but, it does have a few.

Perhaps to cut down the strain...actually I don't think the idea I had in mind (less weight) would really matter. It'd still be a lot of objects either way. Thanks for looking into it though, something like that would be really handy. I had been planning on using a voucher to make a dresser into a 'storage bin' for gadget parts...until I realized how silly that was because it could only hold 16 dinky items!

Maybe -- and again, I don't know code, I'm just thinking of an option that I think is probably done with lockers -- closing and open the storage container could put them all in the 'item limbo'.... And because no one will remember to close the bins, there could be a timer. Every 10 minutes or so the bins are closed? Again...just an idea. ^.^ I'd love to see this implimented.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:

I actually disabled the 'item limbo' of lockers for this very reason. Stuff in lockers no longer does anything special, it sits there like any other container.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I actually disabled the 'item limbo' of lockers for this very reason. Stuff in lockers no longer does anything special, it sits there like any other container.

;.; I'm sorry my suggestion broke the game!

Though...I'm really excited that you're interested in maybe coding something like this!

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » 'junk' bins
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: