FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
the boards (aka: fine, i'll play the asshole)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » the boards (aka: fine, i'll play the asshole)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: the boards (aka: fine, i'll play the asshole)

Josie wrote:
Good lord, i swear you guys are worse than my kids! You both need to just go in Time OUT!

well if the GMs aren't going to try to stop a thread from derailing (be it because it isn't their job, they don't have the time, or it just isn't part of the policy to actually go aroind policing stuff, someone has to.

if we're going to go "oh it's so hard to find things on the boards because noone is being organized" then someone has to actually play the asshole at times and go "look, it's a great thing you're bringing up, but for the love of god just move the topic to where it belongs."

personally the only two folders that i totally care about having the proper stuff in them are the artisan and alteri folders, because when i want to read up on alteri and artisan stuff i know i can go there. i don't want to see threads on why humans are unloved. and if GMs aren't going to tell someone to bring the topic up elsewhere, someone (me or whoever) is going to have to play the board asshole instead and do it.

i know i suck at not bringing things up as tangents as well, but it's going to be impossible for me or anyone to stop doing that if people don't care what is being said where.

i'd love for a thread to go on that doesn't turn into who hates who more or how while one idea is great lets go bring up another tangent or whatever. if people want to do something like talk about heritage abilities as a whole, why not start a thread on that in a non race specific area. if people want to talk about why humans don't get enough attention, there's a humans folder. if people want to talk about meditations, medic equipment, and so on, there are folders for that as well.

it would be awesome if a newbie who wants to learn about eolai medics can just look at those two folders and understand everything they need to. but with the way things to now they'll instead know who bitches at who on the boards and tons of information that, while possibly useful, does nothing to help them learn about what they're looking for.
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:

First off I just want to say, if I offend anyone in this reply I am sorry...

My thing is everytime I want to read the boards i have to scroll through bickering, whining, bitching and complaining because peoples hormones and testosterones think that they should have the final say in whatever the hell the thread was about to begin with and by the time i get to page 20 of the thread, your right its not even what the thread was about anymroe!

Between you, Kit and Aesal and even a few others... its hard to actually read a thread without going jesus will they ever freaking stop?. And yes, call me the asshole but Im just saying what everyone else is thinking.

I would like for ONCE to read a thread and have no one bitching about another person. You all are adults, just act like it.

If you dont like what the person said, then don't belittle them, don't degrade them. Just state your own opinion RELATED TO THE THREAD and ignore any other comments not THREAD RELATED!

Its that simple. Because seriously if i were new i would say, why the hell would i want to play a game where people are so degrading towards each other. I wouldn't be able to find anything because of all the stupid posts that dont even relate to the threads.

Yes the human should be in human folder, and yes houses should stay in houses, but we've all done it where one thought leads to another. Is it a crime? No. As long as the thread is a place where there can be pertinent information, i don't see a major flaw in adding something to the post as long as its related.

I'm tired of all the damn bickering on these boards and I myself try not to start confrontational crap here, but if you act like immature children then maybe you need to be sat down and told the truth. We dont care! We don't care that you guys want to one up the other or that you think that Kit's always derailing shit and you have to point it out. If you dont like it then just IGNORE IT! Its that simple. Ta da...end of story.

Im sorry if Im the one coming off as a bitch here, and personally I like all of ya, Im not reaming into Yaru personally, but the whole of ya GMs and all (and yes I've seen GMs do it too).

We are all here to have fun and enjoy HR, and even though the boards aren't "moderated" that doesn't give any of us the right to act like jerks. And I apologize if I seem the jerk here, that is not my intention at all. But just get over it, if its in the wrong spot and the GMs dont like it, they can move it. Its not up to US to tell others how, when, and where they should post.

[/end rant]
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:

Josie wrote:
My thing is everytime I want to read the boards i have to scroll through bickering, whining, bitching and complaining because peoples hormones and testosterones think that they should have the final say in whatever the hell the thread was about to begin with and by the time i get to page 20 of the thread, your right its not even what the thread was about anymroe!

Between you, Kit and Aesal and even a few others... its hard to actually read a thread without going jesus will they ever freaking stop?. And yes, call me the asshole but Im just saying what everyone else is thinking.

you're not being an asshole at all and i agree 100%.

but the thing is, either someone says "hey, can we move/stop this" or it just keeps going. someone has to be the one to just say "hey please move it" or else it will just keep going until both parties get bored enough for it to end. and i really don't want that to be the way the baords function.

so while it would be great to just go "hey, let's ignore person X going on a tangent" the problem is that it's clear sometimes that the other person won't let up and continue derailing a thread. so either we have to (a) say stop it or (b) let things get even more unorganized.

there's a huge difference between "hey retard go make a new thread" and "please please make a new thread for this" though. i really don't think i was being childish when i was pointing out that the thread was on alteri for the alteri traits and not about how ignored humans are or how they have no city area in llanfair or how they have no language or blah blah blah. so either i could (a) let the thread i started get derailed, making it become useless to me in terms of communication with a GM or (b) say "hey these ideas are great and all but just move them to the right place."

seriously, there's a major difference between starting a fight over stupid shit and just asking someone to stop being off topic.

Quote:
As long as the thread is a place where there can be pertinent information, i don't see a major flaw in adding something to the post as long as its related.

when a newbie comes to the boards to read up on human traits, should they check the alteri folder? if someone wants to read up on combat, should they go to general discussions or combat? the problem with just letting things get off topic is that while you may remember things as you read them today, down the road when the boards have even more topics it will become impossible to find what is wanted.

i know that i remember certain key words from topics that let me search for them when needed, but if someone wants to find out all the fabric types used in weaving yet don't know the fabric types already, would they try checking the artisan folder (or crafts, but more artisan i say) or should they check general discussions? it's hard to find information on the boards as it is. there's no reason to just let things get harder just so noone has their feelings hurt. and, if being (politely) told that a topic can better be focused on elsewhere is that insulting, there's something seriously wrong.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I definitely think that there need to be a few people on the boards who are raised to moderator status. Trevor made a post about that somewhere and it probably nixes this entire post, but eh.

Of course, these people would have to be humble enough not to take this into being superior IG. Or make new boards SNs.

It's just, the GMs have so much to do, it's no wonder why they get snappy on here sometimes. They are working their asses off and all they get is criticism, I don't think they need to deal with moving threads around on top of that.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Uh...I apologized?

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Uh...I apologized?

it wasn't a post about you. it was a reply to what josie wrote because, well, as i've been pointing out it wasn't exactly a topic about alteri so it should have been moved at that point, heh. Razz
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:

KISS AND MAKE UP! All of you! Evil or Very Mad

Edit: That came out much meaner than I intended. Either the caps or the evil smiley heh.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:
I definitely think that there need to be a few people on the boards who are raised to moderator status. Trevor made a post about that somewhere and it probably nixes this entire post, but eh.

Of course, these people would have to be humble enough not to take this into being superior IG. Or make new boards SNs.

It's just, the GMs have so much to do, it's no wonder why they get snappy on here sometimes. They are working their asses off and all they get is criticism, I don't think they need to deal with moving threads around on top of that.

I already put my name up for election, but nobody bothered to say anything after that. I'm mellow. Now.

Seriously, who wouldn't want to see the "THIS THREAD ROCKS" image everytime I lock a thread?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:

*sings* Llllllllama llllllama boy!!!!

Oh, to stay on topic...

I'm terribly torn on the whole moderation business because frankly, most players have said repeatedly they prefer to NOT be moderated. They LIKE the easy going (trust the players to act like adults) approach.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:

HR-Hannah wrote:
KISS AND MAKE UP! All of you! Evil or Very Mad

i'm not even mad at anyone, all i wanted to do was say that if we're going to keep saying "the boards aren't organized" we can't get pissed off at someone for pointing out that a thread is being derailed.

as i said, while i'd love for people to not think i'm being a whiny asshole here by doing stuff like that, if a GM or BM or whateverM doesn't go and get that stuff taken care of themselves, then someone is going to have to at least say something (as politely as possible) so everyone going "these boards make no sense everyone is arguing i'm baffled at where everything is located" can get some desire to use the boards as well.

personally, i also know it's amazingly frustrating to want to post anything at times knowing that the communication between player and GM will get totally screwed up as a result of people either just flaming (instead of debating) the concept and/or deciding that the thread is the perfect time to bring up their own ideas which have nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
I'm terribly torn on the whole moderation business because frankly, most players have said repeatedly they prefer to NOT be moderated. They LIKE the easy going (trust the players to act like adults) approach.

i'm more tilted toward the boards being monitored in the sense that if something becomes off topic it's moved to where it is more on topic. that way noone is being censored but the boards at least have some form of organization to them. if people are going to be assholes and flame people/ideas on a daily basis, that then can be taken care of however, but my bigger issue is the huge tangents everything goes on.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps if you see a thread going off course, PM the person. I think I'd feel less offended, personally. Anyhow, saying something is off topic is in itself off topic. Little flames and requests SHOULD go to PMs. Not be put on the board.

And I wouldn't be very comfortable with players being board monitors. I think if we keep public flaming to a minimum and if maybe GMs could move/delete wayward topics every once in a bit, it'd be okay.

Also, putting an entire rant post in bold about how offtopic things were don't = polite. Maybe that's just me though. ^.^

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
And I wouldn't be very comfortable with players being board monitors.

why? they make good enough GMs it seems.

Quote:
Also, putting an entire rant post in bold about how offtopic things were don't = polite. Maybe that's just me though. ^.^

that was more me forgetting to place an endtag for bold. woops.
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but the thing is, either someone says "hey, can we move/stop this" or it just keeps going. someone has to be the one to just say "hey please move it" or else it will just keep going until both parties get bored enough for it to end. and i really don't want that to be the way the baords function.

so while it would be great to just go "hey, let's ignore person X going on a tangent" the problem is that it's clear sometimes that the other person won't let up and continue derailing a thread. so either we have to (a) say stop it or (b) let things get even more unorganized.

I agree with that statment fully.. but you are the last person I would expect it from.

I know how confusing it is to hunt down information on these boards for a novice, I've only started playing Haelrahv two months ago. There is a Ton of pointless crap tossed into just about every thread, and important stuff about one subject, can be found in a completely unrelated folder/thread.

I've been thinking about this lately, and wondering how people would do with a command for the person that started the thread, to either delete a post, and have it say "deleted by so-and-so, for such-and-such reason", or to have a moderator for the forum's attention to be drawn to the certain post, and leave it up to them to toss it out.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » the boards (aka: fine, i'll play the asshole)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: