FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Hunting at your level
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Hunting at your level
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Galeth Lothain wrote:
but 10 levels wouldn't make that much of a difference eh?

Why wouldn't it? That's a 30-skill point difference where triple-trained skills are concerned. I won't say that high stats aren't a benefit, but the important thing to remember is that combat-oriented critters (and most certainly other players) adhere to the same min-max pattern; on the whole, it's safe to say that high tweaked stats are the norm more than the exception -- which means that in the end, an edge is still an edge.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Galeth Lothain
Er, der wahr ist

Location: That one place with that one town with that one house on that one street

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
which means that in the end, an edge is still an edge.

Gotcha

"Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy"
--Aristotle
 Back to top »
Padishar

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject:

I have a few questions regarding hunting on level.

Is this game made so you can't really hunt above your level at all? I was toying around with several different characters to see if I like certain setups better and what not, and maybe it's because I'm such a low level, but Merc's don't really seem to have that much of an advantage over the other classes. I would have thought I'd be able to hunt at least a single level over my head with a merc, but at level 2 I can't even touch chiths, even with aiming I wasn't able to scratch them. My mage and tracker can kill just as fast in Oaetre Seedlings and Asapis.

Another question I have is about skinning, I remember reading Trevor rolled up a newbie and skinned for 20 minutes and made like 200 dollars, but I don't remember which thread it was, so I'll post it here. Well at level two with maxed out skinning for my merc, I hunted for four hours averaging at least a kill every two minutes, maybe even less. I walked away with 11 skins. I'm a Darju so that means I'm not affected by darkness penelties either. Wouldn't be really a problem if they sold for a decent amount but selling them at the skinning shop, I made a total sum of 111 dollars for four hours worth of work. Not really enough to buy anything. The only thing I could think of was that my sword wasn't suited for skinning, but when I asked around, everyone told me all you need is a bladed weapon.

A few suggestions and notes I have to maybe fix some of these problems, and I'm rather new so maybe I don't fully understand stuff but I am a fresh set of eyes:

1. It seems to me that for the most part, lower level characters are underpowered where as the higher level characters are maybe slightly overpowered. (Just from what I've read the last few days on the boards) Maybe giving both ends a better balance would help things run alittle better. Or maybe lower the EXP requirement for the first few levels to say 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 then at level 5 on, it'll be 30,000. This will help encourage younger players to stick around. Because I know I found it quite maticulous with such a low EXP pool to gain 30,000, even if I do drain more into my pool, I still have an almost nothing size pool and most of it is wasted.

2. My other suggestion would maybe make it so the combat oriented classes could triple train in skinning with the trackers receiving a bonus to it. Or make it slightly easier to skin and raise the selling price of skins slightly, maybe just the lower ones.

If I'm wrong about anything, or things are just unclear to me, correct me. I'm still learning alot about what's going on, so maybe I just need help and some pointers. Anyways thanks for listening.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is this game made so you can't really hunt above your level at all? I was toying around with several different characters to see if I like certain setups better and what not, and maybe it's because I'm such a low level, but Merc's don't really seem to have that much of an advantage over the other classes. I would have thought I'd be able to hunt at least a single level over my head with a merc, but at level 2 I can't even touch chiths, even with aiming I wasn't able to scratch them. My mage and tracker can kill just as fast in Oaetre Seedlings and Asapis.

This plays into your comments later, but -right now- the gap between professions is much thinner at low levels and exaggerated at high ones.

Quote:
Another question I have is about skinning, I remember reading Trevor rolled up a newbie and skinned for 20 minutes and made like 200 dollars, but I don't remember which thread it was, so I'll post it here. Well at level two with maxed out skinning for my merc, I hunted for four hours averaging at least a kill every two minutes, maybe even less. I walked away with 11 skins. I'm a Darju so that means I'm not affected by darkness penelties either. Wouldn't be really a problem if they sold for a decent amount but selling them at the skinning shop, I made a total sum of 111 dollars for four hours worth of work. Not really enough to buy anything. The only thing I could think of was that my sword wasn't suited for skinning, but when I asked around, everyone told me all you need is a bladed weapon.

Of course stats and stuff, health, etc play in here, but the instrument you use DOES matter. Try with a skinning knife or dagger and see how it goes. You can also SKIN CAREFULLY which will increase RT but also increase success rate.

Quote:
1. It seems to me that for the most part, lower level characters are underpowered where as the higher level characters are maybe slightly overpowered. (Just from what I've read the last few days on the boards) Maybe giving both ends a better balance would help things run alittle better. Or maybe lower the EXP requirement for the first few levels to say 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 then at level 5 on, it'll be 30,000. This will help encourage younger players to stick around. Because I know I found it quite maticulous with such a low EXP pool to gain 30,000, even if I do drain more into my pool, I still have an almost nothing size pool and most of it is wasted.

When the new skill system is fully ready, lower levels will be much easier to acquire. At the same time, the way in which professional bonuses are applied to skills and stats in the new skill system setup is a nice, smooth progression instead of an exponential one.

Quote:
2. My other suggestion would maybe make it so the combat oriented classes could triple train in skinning with the trackers receiving a bonus to it. Or make it slightly easier to skin and raise the selling price of skins slightly, maybe just the lower ones.

Not a bad idea, but mostly moot due to the new skill system and the fact it doesn't apply double/triple training caps.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Or maybe lower the EXP requirement for the first few levels to say 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 then at level 5 on, it'll be 30,000. This will help encourage younger players to stick around. Because I know I found it quite maticulous with such a low EXP pool to gain 30,000, even if I do drain more into my pool, I still have an almost nothing size pool and most of it is wasted.

It's likely you aren't already aware of it, but characters drain more per pulse than everyone else, up to level 20 at which point it levels off at 10 per minute. It's 20-per-minute to start, so you're essentially draining twice as fast before any experience tracker penalties (see XPTRACK).

Additionally, for insight into more effective hunting stat min-maxing, see NEWS 16.

---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Padishar

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback and help. I'll switch over to a knife and try skinning again. It was just starting to get frustrating.

And yes I understood that younger players drain faster than older ones, it's just more of a mental mind set, you hunt for hours and hours just to gain your first level. And after doing the math out (using th numbers on Aesal's site) Right now if I would accumulate 1.5 times more EXP now then at level 20 in the same amount of time.

Edit: It also appears I'm only able to skin normally, so I'm guessing I don't have enough skill to skin carefully yet. I'm using the Skin <critter> Carefully Syntax by the way.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

Only Trackers get the benefit of skinning carefully/quickly.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:

And yes, it's possible to hunt above your level. Tyger does it every once in a while. And, I didn't know that what you used mattered on skinning. I always use my shuriken, just to look cool. Go Ninja skinning!
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:

I'm wondering if there's anything else Nelle can hunt now. With the new magic resistance, royal guards can kill her with their spells and they were the highest thing she could fight at melee that I know of. Am I missing any creatures that might work?

Technically guards are way under her level from what I've been told but being a medic that fights at melee without armor [can dodge them easily enough] they're a challenge even before the new resist change. Any suggestions?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's anything else Nelle can hunt now. With the new magic resistance, royal guards can kill her with their spells and they were the highest thing she could fight at melee that I know of. Am I missing any creatures that might work?

Technically guards are way under her level from what I've been told but being a medic that fights at melee without armor [can dodge them easily enough] they're a challenge even before the new resist change. Any suggestions?

Actually, the magic resist stuff isn't complete yet and guards/your resist to them hasn't changed yet.

Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:

Then something is wrong because before today I resisted their spells each and every time and today they killed me with two failures that took around half my vitality each.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

If you were able to resist their spells at your current level of resistance, I'd be inclined to guess that there was something wrong before, actually.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
If you were able to resist their spells at your current level of resistance, I'd be inclined to guess that there was something wrong before, actually.

Then it was wrong for a rather long time, I've been hunting royal guards for months and months. I would have had no reason to know that it was something I shouldn't be able to do. Never once before today did I fail to resist, and today I failed twice with the same guard.

My question remains.. is there anything else that a medic can fight at melee?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:

1. The point of blood siphon NPC attacks is now moot with the updates just made. You should be able to resist it fine with the resist I see you have right now.

2. You receive a very small amount of grace by the skill change I just put in also, so NPC's are lower by one level.

3. Medics aren't intended to be able to melee as well as others. I know you realize this, but it still seems to be a point of concern. Although, this, like other skill cap related issues, will be resolved once we can roll out the new skills completely.

Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:

Thank you Trevor, so very much. And yes, if I had it to do all over again I'd pick a different weapon class but for now I'm doing the best I can with what I have for as long as I can. When we go to live and can redo our skills, this will be one of the changes I plan to make.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Hunting at your level
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: