FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tailoring and Craftsmanship nskill questions
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » Tailoring and Craftsmanship nskill questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sainji

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Tailoring and Craftsmanship nskill questions

I noticed that when I try to craft something with bonus' on or in a room with a large bonus to tailoring, I do not get any credit in nskills for it if it's way beyond my normal capacity to do. I'm assuming that is intentional?

Also, my craftsmanship does not rise as much as my main nskill does (tailoring). Is the nskill system not tracking somethings I'm doing?

Regards,
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Yes, if something is not challenging to you, you get less or no skill gain.

When you raise craftsmanship what do you normally do to train that up?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Sainji

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The only time I notice that my craftsmanship is moving is when I warp my loom.

My personal take was that craftsmanship would move every time I crafted something either with cooking, tailoring, sculpting, painting or drawing (if drawing ever gets implemented)? Ergo be the highest skill of all my artisan skills.

Right now my tailoring is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy past my craftsmanship at 35.0134, while my craftsmanship is only 4.1187!

Regards,
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Actually, tasks generally don't raise two skills at once. There are some things you can do to work up craftsmanship specifically and more will come. If we added craftsmanship gains for all of these tasks, it would trivialize that skill so that it really had no purpose as a skill since it would always exceed the other crafting related skills.

Back to top »
Sainji

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Then excuse me for asking a silly question, but what is Craftsmanship skill? Perhaps it has evolved past what it originally was intended for, or I misunderstood from wayyyyyy back when I first came to Haelrahv.

Thanks.

Regards,
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:

craftsmanship, as of right now, is the default skill for any crafting system that has no actual skillset itself.

ie: woodworking, armor crafting, loom warping, gem cutting, and so on all fall under 'craftsmanship'.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Yes it has indeed evolved, or devolved rather. It used to be a huge broad skill for a wide host of crafting tasks, but some of that burden is now placed on additional crafting skills. For cases where there still is no specific skill for a task, craftsmanship serves as a general purpose catch-all skill.

Back to top »
Sainji

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Trevor I think you missunderstood my tailoring for nskills question/problem.

I'll give you an example:

My natural skills without the sewing kits that boosts tailoring is: Tailoring : 21 (27), which means my highest tailoring item is: sack (for fabric squares) and hat (for fabric swatches).

With my tailoring boosting kits I have: Tailoring : 21 (31), which means my highest tailoring item is: stockings (for fabric squares) and sheath (for fabric swatches). When I tailor a sack I still don't learn any tailoring unders nskills, nor with stockings or sheathes.

You stated if the item I'm tailoring isn't challenging enough, nskills shouldn't move. But my nskills are not raising at all for tailoring and I'm using higher than normal items to tailor.

Help!

Regards,
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I made some adjustments, but they won't affect woven items, only traditional tailoring. Woven items will need a separate update.

The bonus items you use can affect your skill gains because they make you more likely to succeed. However, I essentially ripped out all the former code relating to skill gains and replaced it with sturdier code that I believe will work better.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » Tailoring and Craftsmanship nskill questions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: