FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Psionic/magical cyber eyes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionic/magical cyber eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject:

What it boils down to is that they not only want bonuses from cyber eyes, but from other things. The fact that they give bonuses that you can switch out whenever you like needs to be balanced out by something. Blindness is a perfect example. And since when does a psionic actually work with the eyes instead of the brain? It isn't a cyber eye thing.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Gabriel wrote:
What it boils down to is that they not only want bonuses from cyber eyes, but from other things.

no, what i want is consistancy.

i'm fine with not being able to use potions and such to enhance my eyes. but if that is the case, then i shouldn't still be capable of losing eyesight.
Gabriel

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
What it boils down to is that they not only want bonuses from cyber eyes, but from other things.

no, what i want is consistancy.

i'm fine with not being able to use potions and such to enhance my eyes. but if that is the case, then i shouldn't still be capable of losing eyesight.

From my website.

Code:
Blindness
Ability Description: This ability allows the psionic to cause temporary blindness in a target. The eyes are not physically damaged, however.

Where does it say it effects the eyes? It probably works on the brain. How can you use a spell to enhance the quality of your cyber eyes? But you can use one to stop the brain from interpreting signals sent from them.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject:

i just don't buy that attune eyesight/nightvisions/potions/et al work on the eyes and not the pathway, meanwhile blindness does.

i'm aware what the rules behind it are, and i disagree with them.
Gabriel

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject:

But how is a potion or something going to enhance the quality of images you recieve from cybernetic hardware?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Gabriel wrote:
But how is a potion or something going to enhance the quality of images you recieve from cybernetic hardware?

the same way the blindness ability detracts from it?

i always assumed the 'the eyes are not physically damaged' part just meant that they didn't explode or anything, not that the eyes aren't the target of the effect. it's like the switch that made eyes 'work' is turned off, as opposed to the eyes themselves breaking apart.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
i just don't buy that attune eyesight/nightvisions/potions/et al work on the eyes and not the pathway, meanwhile blindness does.

I can understand saying you choose not to believe this is the case, but I don't follow how despite what you prefer to believe, that this could very well be the case.

See, we're talking about consistency within the context of fictional powers and abilities that none of us have real-world knowledge to apply to the situation. It's all completely theoretical in nature, so saying it's inconsistent is not accurate unless you believe in a particular set of theoretical situations. If you don't, then the entire setup as is has no inconsistency.

Therefore, this entire thread is based on 100% opinion and there is no winning argument.

From a gameplay standpoint, I don't think that players should get a free version of the blindness-impervious trait just by using cybernetic eyes. However, if we made creatures more prone to specifically trying to destroy your cyber eyes to make you blind, I'd probably have no gameplay-related issue with making you invulnerable to blindness.

Somehow, however, I bet if the choice were to keep things as is, or add the tradeoff I just mentioned that could destroy the eyes, most people using cyber eyes would probably vote to keep the status quo.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionic/magical cyber eyes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: