FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The mechanics of psionic powers
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » The mechanics of psionic powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: The mechanics of psionic powers

I'm posting on behalf of a questioning psionic. He has superior skill in psionic power but can't hunt anything on par with his skills.

He can't hit nowbi champions unless they're knocked down, and can't paralyze getok hounds at all. He's been using pummel to hunt with because comparitively with the 8 seconds to invoke and then cast a power, he can get in two pummels and kill the critter.

What are the stats/skills involved in psionic ability casting accuracy and what reason would there be for someone with that caliber of skills having so much trouble with inferior opponents? I would think he should be able to kill them easily.

Any info is very welcome!
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I opted to test using the questioning Psionic's stats on a nowbi champion and a getok hound.

Champion: Actually, I used half of that player's stats for this guy; I still paralyzed him 8 times out of 10 tries.

Hound: Using the real stats, the hound resisted 9 times out of 10.

This is going to sound a bit cross, but when I make critters, I don't set them up with the intent of just watching a player breeze through and knock them down. That, to me, makes the point of "hunting areas" obsolete. The hounds, Thekko, and a couple of the nowbi have high mental resistances; that was deliberate. I'm strongly in the camp that the Psionic mental powers resistance rolloff is a little aggressor-heavy and favors the attacker, and these critters represent that strength of will. On the other hand, having adapted to living on the chest of a volcano, most of them are susceptible to cold -- did he attempt to use Rime Cloud at all?

Basically, I'm saying that Paralysis will never be the endgame for every imaginable situation. It simply doesn't make sense to frighten something mindless like a robot or undead creature with mental voodoo, and I recently added some stuff to represent that. This shouldn't be seen as me smacking down Psionics, mind you, because the Mage siphon spells don't work on critters that lack a metabolism any longer, and various Performer abilities haven't worked on applicable stuff for as long as I can remember.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick response on this. I knew your critts were evolved a bit from the norm. Wink I'll pass the info on to him as he doesn't read the boards.
Platinumyan
Master Plush ;(

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I've personally found piercing stare mixed with a rifle to be better time usage than paralyze. Though I do have hope that when Psionic abilities are looked at, their prep/cast time will be put in line with mage spells. Paralyze has become my ability of choice when hunting with friends as it helps avoid the smacks to the back of the head when they work hard at getting to melee just in time for it to die.

Yan - from the perspective of a Psion without superior skill

This object amazingly decreases one's Logic skill.
This object amazingly enhances one's Flaming skill.
This object considerably enhances one's Annoyance skill.

You sigh.
You say, “Great, another one.”
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » The mechanics of psionic powers
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: