FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
For Live: Professional Concepts
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » For Live: Professional Concepts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: For Live: Professional Concepts

I have put off making this post for a while because I didn't wish to detract from the events going on in the game at the time, especially new artisan releases. However, I'd like to make you all aware of two things we're heavily considering for "Live". This is indeed just a consideration, not written in stone, but I'm greatly in favor of them and I welcome your thoughts on them to get an idea for how you, the players, feel about these concepts.

The following concepts apply to Live ONLY, not Test.

I'll throw down the shock up-front and get to the point: Removing the Artisan and Bureaucrat professions. Now that I have some readers reeling, I'll explain why and how we cope with their removal.

---------
Artisans:
---------
Why remove them?
One of the things that has become very apparent is that many people really enjoy making things. So much so, that it seems to be a shame that only one portion of the population can enjoy much of it. Our original plan was to make almost all non-technical crafted items Artisan-crafted only, or allow others to make far inferior versions.

We could hold true this original intent, but it means a lot of people will miss out on an activity they enjoy considerably. Choosing to be a Tracker -or- someone who can make nice backpacks and light armor for example, is a hard choice to make.

Further, that current vision for things leaves little room for Artisans to be unique. What you can make is mostly determined according to your level and little else.

So what do we do with crafting then?
We create a set of craft-related classes, which I'll refer to as "trades", of which you choose one. This trade compliments your chosen profession so that you might be a Tracker profession and have something popular for Trackers like a Tailor trade, but you also might instead decide you want to be a more rare beast and take a Cooking trade. It's up to you. In this way, everyone can be a crafter if they choose, they simply choose a niche of crafting to fill and work on those types of items.

Some professions would still have some profession-specific craft work. For instance, even if a Technician took a Cook trade, he or she would still be able to make various things available to all techs. However, there could be a tech-related trade choice and this Technician could either choose to take that craft thereby having the maximum possible choice in tech crafting options, or they could decide to be an "average" Technician with the complimentary tech gear options and choose something completely non technical for their trade just as an escape from the norm.

So, to re-iterate, you'd be choosing a profession (Agent, Tracker, etc.) as well as a trade (Cook, Light Armorer, etc.) rather than choosing between being a crafter at all, or not.

------------
Bureaucrats:
------------
Why remove them?
Bureaucrats are a staple of Haelrahv life. We're all very familiar with them, and we're all accustomed to hunting for a broker on a regular basis, and hunting down an Bureaucrat for other services on a less frequent basis. Still, this profession is very narrowly defined and this is most evident by its skill and stat set. Any given Bureaucrat will dump every stat point into Charisma until it's maxed. They have little use for other stats, but the next to get a pump will be those that help one gain experience. There's no sense of adventure, risk, or exploring the world with a Bureaucrat. If they're your main character, you probably spend most of your time in town doing a very limited number of things. If they're not your main, they're probably a mule you use to collect interest and broker for you. The latter is unhealthy for Haelrahv's economy.

So what do we do to replace them?
It's my belief that we do not necessarily need brokers, but if brokers exist they should have done more than make a profession choice. I believe one should be required to earn broker status and work hard to be a good broker in addition to whatever else you do in your profession.

I also believe we should have some aspects of the game that are governed by elected officials in the form of players. I believe that players should serve a political purpose and have influence politically if they choose. I think it would be quite fun for a player to be a council member, or maybe a crime boss with political clout. I think politics have a great future in Haelrahv. What I don't believe, is that these people should all be one profession that is finely tuned to serve only in this role. I think politics should be an optional layer of the game people engage in, and I think political clout should be more than what skills or stats you train.

In other words, I think all players should have the potential to be a "Bureaucrat" just as I think all players should have the potential to take up craft trades. I think both should require you to invest a lot of time in these efforts, and in the case of politics, I think you should have to maintain your political clout - that's the nature of politics.

----------------
New Professions:
----------------
Will we be adding new professions to take the place of these two?
There will probably be at least one new profession released, we have something in mind. Will there be a second? We're not sure yet. I don't feel that the difference between 10, 11, or 12 professions to choose from is a serious design consideration, and I don't which to detract from the uniqueness of our professions by duplicating our efforts. Still, I'm all for lots of professions if they're all unique.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » For Live: Professional Concepts
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: