FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
New Skill System Transition Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New Skill System Transition Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:

Josie Laurens wrote:
you gonna give us a couple week in advance notice when the change gonna go in effect? Am a diff prof. and wanna stay that way for bout a month or so then change back to mage (possibly...havent decided yet), so need a heads up on the change so if i wanna go back to mage i have a chance to?

hearing that makes me want there to be no warning at all.

then again, that's because i feel jumping from profession to profession is mechanics abuse, because reallocations weren't meant to be used in that manner.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

I can't say I disagree with your thoughts Yaru, but to clarify, the actual reason we're going to give notice is to make sure you have enough time to read any new info released right before the system is rolled in, and to ensure you have time to think about how to retrain your character's points in light of being able to train by use.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject:

It's my opinion that since this is a test phase of a game and not even the live version that we should get an infinite amount of reallocates.

New things are being given to each profession here and there and it wouldn't be fair to totally deny the players a chance to check new systems and mechanics out at all during the developmental stage of Halearahv.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'm not trying to be catty by such a short response, but I disagree with your opinion. That's all that really needs to be said.

Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Josie Laurens wrote:
you gonna give us a couple week in advance notice when the change gonna go in effect? Am a diff prof. and wanna stay that way for bout a month or so then change back to mage (possibly...havent decided yet), so need a heads up on the change so if i wanna go back to mage i have a chance to?

hearing that makes me want there to be no warning at all.

then again, that's because i feel jumping from profession to profession is mechanics abuse, because reallocations weren't meant to be used in that manner.

Why reallocate to a profession you don't intend to stay as? I agree, I think this is mechanics abuse. Just like so many things the GMs give us, I think there are players who choose to ignore why things are given and instead focus on how they can use that thing to get around a system mechanic, and get some kind of advantage.

"I'll switch to x profession for a while so I can get x bonus, then I'll switch back."

Personally I think it's bullshit, it's people like you who frustrate the GMs and cause problems (and no, I'm not specifically directing this at Josie, I'm sure there are plenty more who have done the reallocate BS). I'll be glad when Live comes and reallocate is gone...not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I think it's a good idea which has been severely taken advantage of.

If you are doing it just to try out another profession, get a pay-for account (if you don't already have one) and roll one up like the rest of us.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

Heh I don't think you're being catty. You're not obligated to explain the reasoning behind your opinions, nobody is.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Tugor wrote:
It's my opinion that since this is a test phase of a game and not even the live version that we should get an infinite amount of reallocates.

New things are being given to each profession here and there and it wouldn't be fair to totally deny the players a chance to check new systems and mechanics out at all during the developmental stage of Halearahv.

there's a difference between reallocating because you trained something wrong for your profession in light of new system releases and reallocating for a month to play as X and then jump back to whatever you really want to be.

that's like yaru turning into a tracker, getting a crazy number of getok hides, then becoming an artisan again in order to process them for cash. it's abusing the system.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I kind of see reallocating across professions as a way to show that your character's interests have changed. This isn't to justify the "I'll be agent for awhile so I can make massive poisons then go back to tracker and rape everyone with it" (tracker -> agent -> tracker + mass poison) situation, but more of the "well, my character used to be interested in tailoring things, but after awhile he's grown accustomed to working with mechanical things" (artisan -> technician) situation.

If that makes any sense.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Like I said. New things are released for professions, new skills\mechanics\abilities etc. Some of those new things may appeal to someone and pull them from their current profession. We the players usually have no way of knowing when something new is coming out unless the GM decides to keep us updated. New stuff just pops out sometimes with little warning. Which is cool, surprises like that are great.

My only real opinion here is that players should continue to have the chance to be able to try out the new things as they are released via the reallocation system, not to abuse them but to 'check them out'.
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Well gracious didn't mean to open a can of worms here but damn... if you all had read my thread you would have seen that i had said...
Quote:
(possibly...havent decided yet),

I don't know if i want to go back to mage, the spell changes have kinda frustrated me and so yes i changed to a different profession to see if i would enjoy it better. Is that abuse? No... if after I play this profession for a month and think eh...I'd rather be a mage and switch back to a mage then that is not mech. abuse to me and I shouldn't be degraded for using Reallocations in the way that I felt they were intended. (and Im not directing this at anyone in this thread either)

I can see where there can be abuse like Will said, but not all people are abusing it like that, only a select few and let's not clump all people that reallocate into that group please.

~Jo
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Like I said. New things are released for professions, new skills\mechanics\abilities etc.

When we release these things they aren't always intended for everyone. Imagine if every time a system came out, most of the game changed professions so they could be really good at it, and so every update was met with this rush of people being X profession so no one really had any identity, they were like nomads from profession to profession according to our dev schedule. Wouldn't that seem really... wrong? Boring? I've heard a lot of statements about "cookie cutter classes" but loose or no limits on reallocations would be the single greatest thing to cause such an effect.

Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:

You're absolutely right Trevor. I recant my previous statement about infinite reallocates. I do stand by everything else I said though, I like having the choice of reallocation if something 'better' comes along before the live version of the game.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Truly, the only way I can see us having reallocation at all post new skill system is if it applied serious penalties as we plan to apply in live. That is, loss of a notable level of experience, loss of some trained skills, and then one could re-choose profession and retrain stats/point-trained skills only.

Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I changed the thread topic...since no one is talking about Alchemy anymore.

My thoughts on the matter? Reallocations were a very very VERY generous boon that the staff handed us. They could have very well left us with the original profession changing mechanics that have been in since day one instead: REROLL

None the less, since we won't have Reallocation after the switch and I'm happy with how Dante is trained up, I have an extra one. I don't know what I'll do with it. More than likely just let it vanish...though with a fest coming up I could use some cash! But if you're not going to offer me a figure with at least 7 zero's after it (before the decimal point), don't bother. Wink
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Reallocations and continuity/character-interest are mututally exclusive things. The former will always be OOC. Using a hypothetic Zamde reallocation as an example (just choosing a profession at random, let's say Mercenary), there's no viable rationalization that, on top of suddenly no longer wielding vast spellsong power, she's (in a matter of seconds) immediately mastered all techniques and is a hundred times more proficient and capable with a splattergun than a new character; or immediately a dozen times more perceptive than she ever was charismatically. Using vastness of level and internal power (i.e. high level) as an explanation for that phenomenon doesn't work either, because if such inherent (capa)ability were the case, we'd all have every skill maxed and possess every profession ability. That last statement could lead me into pointing out the covetous bitching people are doing about other professions, but that's another argument for another time.

Edit: The point of this post being that switching out professions every time some new money-making/hunting/whatever system is released is the realm of games like Diablo; not an RPG based on perpetuity. If you can't take your own character seriously enough to keep from min-maxing every other week (or, moreover, profession/race-jumping to the point that it's a career), how can you expect other players to?

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New Skill System Transition Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: