FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The election, my own view....
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » The election, my own view....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanisloray
PSYCHOTIC LIGHT!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: The election, my own view....

I didn't vote.

Why not?

Simply because of stupid crap. My mom threw out my voter registration card, I have my DC card, but that won't get me to vote. I don't know where to vote in the area my parents live in.

So anyway. I wanted Kerry to win, but he didn't. Not that either person will do anything amazing in my opinion, we have Bush again. Kerry was outvoted.

Liberals believe in abortion and birth control and things like that. Since abortion was legalized in the late 70s, all those possible liberal voters, have been more or less, made non-existant. Conservatives will slowly always outrank the liberals because of this. All the birth control, all that kind of stuff. Used by liberals, the conservatives, won't. They have children, taught by their parents, and their children have children. It's an ongoing cycle.

There's also the religious zealousism of conservatives. I can probably guarantee that if we could have an analysis of people who regularly went to church and were fervant, we would most likely get an extremely high percentage of voter turnout, because these people believe in making a difference, and they will, and they will do EVERYTHING they can to get the person they want, in.

Regarding religious views, neither candidate was perfect. But, in the instance of my parents, they will vote for the "lesser evil".

Combine this with liberals, who are outranked numerically, the people who don't give a shit and don't vote, and the liberals will slowly lose their hold on the united states government.

I'm not saying abortion is wrong. It is necessary in instances where the mother's life is in danger and such.

There has been too much abuse of abortion which leads to these kind of things.

Ah well. I'll get off my soapbox now

Hannah Channing suddenly appears from thin air!
>
Hannah Channing swings her boobs at you and hits you on the crotch sending feathers flying everywhere!
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, roughly 50% of the population is made up of middle to left politically leaning persons.

With the re-election of Bush, the firmer Republican hold on both Senate and house, and the slew of "moraility" based amendments that have passed this election year, it is my belief that many Americans are going to feel they are without reasonable representation in the government and it's going to cause them to lose some faith in their country.

Elections are elections and they will be as they will be, but this one was so slanted to one side, it can't be described as anything but a field day for the right. The left may as well be hunkering down in bunkers for a while.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject:

Lose faith? I'll agree to that.

How can you have faith in a country that says to a person that he cannot marry the person he loves? For better or for worse, until death dot hey part.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
Lose faith? I'll agree to that.

How can you have faith in a country that says to a person that he cannot marry the person he loves? For better or for worse, until death dot hey part.

America is and always has been a little 'behind the times' when it comes to things like this. Look how much time it was between when slavery was outlawed in Europe and when it was in the US. Social equality movements are slow, but it does happen eventually. That's the important thing to remember, and to not get discouraged. Change over these sorts of things happen slow here. Very very slow.

What I tend to keep telling myself and the person I've been seeing for about three years now is that the only thing we really need in marriage are things like next of kin right and spousal rights. Marriage...eh. With the divorce rate the way it is and with people constantly cheating on each other...who REALLY needs marriage? Straight people shouldn't even be subjected to it.

What's that one song? "All you need is love."

I view gay and lesbian marriage as the next change. The one before it was interracial couples. 50 years ago, in the south, a black man would get hung for being seen with a white woman. Read "The Color of Water." And don't worry. We'll get our chance. It's going to happen.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject:

I'm all for gay marriage.

Homosexual couples deserve to feel as cornered in and miserable as us heteros.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject:

I don't know what the politicians are smoking. Gay marriage would be a great boon to local economies. No, I'm not reaching for the quick joke (ie. omg there would have to be SO many flowers!), but just think. Traditional marriages do cost quite a bundle. License fees, catering, rental fees, et al.

You would think that the thought of money would be able to overcome simple redneck prejudices. Sigh.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
I don't know what the politicians are smoking. Gay marriage would be a great boon to local economies. No, I'm not reaching for the quick joke (ie. omg there would have to be SO many flowers!), but just think. Traditional marriages do cost quite a bundle. License fees, catering, rental fees, et al.

You would think that the thought of money would be able to overcome simple redneck prejudices. Sigh.

--William

Hm. Never thought of it that way....

I think the problem most lies with the Christians. It shames me to have gone through 12 years of Catholic schooling....

Okay, maybe not the Christians. Episcopalians are much cooler about gay unions then say...Fundamentalists.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Christian, thank you.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Okay, maybe not the Christians. Episcopalians are much cooler about gay unions then say...Fundamentalists.

Fundamentalism != Religion.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
I'm a Christian, thank you.

I negated blame on all Christians. Just the crazy fundamentalists and bible thumpers.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:

An offline friend of mine put it in the best context --

If Bush wins a second term, being on the losing side does not mean you were on the wrong side.

In addition, I want you to consider that anything that happens in the next four years for good or for ill to this country must be laid at the feet of the Republican Party. They maintain control of both houses of the Congress, and by tomorrow morning, George W. Bush will probably be declared victor of the election unless some truly amazing revelations come to light [those being Ohio provisional ballots and absentee ballots]. They will have absolute control of the gears of government; the only thing they can't do automatically is send proposals to amend the Constitution back to the states.

Whatever happens now, it will be their doing. Their policy. Their singular...inescapable...fault.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
An offline friend of mine put it in the best context --

If Bush wins a second term, being on the losing side does not mean you were on the wrong side.

In addition, I want you to consider that anything that happens in the next four years for good or for ill to this country must be laid at the feet of the Republican Party. They maintain control of both houses of the Congress, and by tomorrow morning, George W. Bush will probably be declared victor of the election unless some truly amazing revelations come to light [those being Ohio provisional ballots and absentee ballots]. They will have absolute control of the gears of government; the only thing they can't do automatically is send proposals to amend the Constitution back to the states.

Whatever happens now, it will be their doing. Their policy. Their singular...inescapable...fault.

Yeah, that's true. But are you willing to give them credit if things go well?
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I meant to point that out beyond the simple cut and paste, but yes. I'm in it more for the "sole burden of responsibility, right or wrong" part than "Haha! Now we wait for the neo-cons to screw up!" aspect. If sincerely good things happen, I wouldn't begrudge them the limelight for a moment. I'm honestly not too enthused on what promises to be (to me, at least) a morality/ethic rollback to the 1950s, but I'm intrinsically willing to let things happen as they happen.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. But are you willing to give them credit if things go well?

As someone who voted for and greatly supported Bush in 2000, yes, I am. It's Bush that failed me, not me that failed Bush. I would give the entire government such equal consideration.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
I meant to point that out beyond the simple cut and paste, but yes. I'm in it more for the "sole burden of responsibility, right or wrong" part than "Haha! Now we wait for the neo-cons to screw up!" aspect. If sincerely good things happen, I wouldn't begrudge them the limelight for a moment. I'm honestly not too enthused on what promises to be (to me, at least) a morality/ethic rollback to the 1950s, but I'm intrinsically willing to let things happen as they happen.

That pretty much echoes my thoughts on the matter.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » The election, my own view....
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: