FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
How do you feel about item loss (excluding combat breakage)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » How do you feel about item loss (excluding combat breakage)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about item loss (excluding combat breakage please)?
Anything should be subject to loss given the right circumstances.
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
My best items should always be safe, but most of my inventory should be at risk under the right conditions.
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Only easily replaced items should ever be at risk.
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Items should never be lost as part of "risk" in the game.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 37

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: How do you feel about item loss (excluding combat breakage)

This applies to general conditions.. death, traps/puzzles/etc., not combat breakage or wear & tear.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with being able to lose all but what's "irreplacable" in some cases.
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, thats a hard one to put my finger on, I'm inbetween the top two choices, but I dunno how to really explain it.

I think its more like I feel most stuff should be subject to lose, however, there should be ways to counter this if you prepare before hand, and/or ways to buy things (including rare stuff you might of had) back at maybe say a pawn shop or something, if the 'janitor' got them (or some thugs or something).
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Durinthal wrote:
I'm fine with being able to lose all but what's "irreplacable" in some cases.

And I'd have to agree with Durinthal on that. its not the losing stuff that I dislike, its the irreplacable stuff, when stuff like this can be lost people will just put them away in a safe spot, never to be used again, thus defeating the point and everyone ends up using nothing but common items. (Kinda like DR, stupid DR!)
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Item loss should be in I agree, but there should be a way to protect some of our most prized and unique possessions. For instance, profession quest items, artifacts, unique weapons, etc might have some sort of fail safe so the owner can actually USE them without fear of loss due to unexpected death/attacks/etc.

Instead of writting a way for certain individual items to bond to someone, maybe there would be a way to pruchase something that would bond one item to the owner. It should be fairly expensive to get a hold of of course.
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
so the owner can actually USE them without fear of loss due to unexpected death/attacks/etc.

Crappy ISP, game crashes, computer crashing, random disconnect even on a good ISP... etc
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Ahhh yes. Those too. I had almost forgotten about those things.
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject:

For the most part, Trevor has created a good backup system, so losing items due to game failure will be minimized greatly.

I think the issue here is how much responsibility should be on the player to protect his or her items. If your running around town with the Holy Grail in your hand and someone kills you in a P vs. P area and takes the Grail, I think that adds a certain aspect to the game.

If you purchased something to keep your Holy Grail protected and have it in that container at the time you are killed, then that is a different story.

I think there should be some risk and danger involved for all items to be "lost", putting some responsiblity on the player to protect his or her items.

It also adds to role-play. Say a starting character finds a half-way decent item. That player is probably going to be nervous and try to protect that item from being stolen or taken off his dead carcass. Say a character called Leonardo DiCaprio has a piece of art, a sketch of a naked Kate Winslet maybe, and everyone wants it so they gun for him. I think that stuff adds to the game.

Instead of the word "lost" think more along the lines of stolen or looted.

I don't think any of the Counselors are creating systems or areas where you'll all of the sudden you lose an item, no matter how big or small.

In a nutshell, I'm for a certain risk being placed on all items with the players responsible for protecting those items. However, finding the means to protect those items should not be very difficult.

Myst
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think any of the Counselors are creating systems or areas where you'll all of the sudden you lose an item, no matter how big or small.

<cough> Actually, I believe we have an area where if you do something really blatantly obvious you should not do, it can result in item loss. But nothing where you're just walking around and suddenly something devours your backpack or anything.

Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject:

::glances at poll::

Just about everyone's willing to lose something.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject:

Kinda interesting, isn't it?

Back to top »
Striker

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject:

I think that items should be available to be taken, as long as people do not abuse the power. As in, If an older player just 'happens' to always find an item from a less powerful group of individuals(eg. newbies).... Or Sitting in an area and not letting others attain an item at the end of a quest... But once you are dead, and unguarded, your items should be able to be picked up by anyone, that is why folks would always hunt in groups with friends. That adds tremendously to the role playing aspect of the game and if someone is playing an evil or good character, they can actually play that mentality.

my 2 cents...
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject:

I think half the fun in one-of-a-kind or otherwise unique or high-caliber items and weapons is the coveting by other characters.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » How do you feel about item loss (excluding combat breakage)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: