FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
This topic
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » This topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: This topic

This topic is for discussing stuff in the "live" game. This shouldn't be taken to mean we're imminently close to releasing it...we have a long way to go yet.

Anyway, to kick it off I thought I'd post a decision we as a staff came to as to something we wish to change. This particular change probably won't be well received by many, but we feel it is best for the game.

We'll be removing bonus numbers from stuff like SKILLS and INFO. This is not to say you will not be able to figure out when you have bonuses, but it will be a bit more involved and less automatic.

We have not fully decided if you will still be able to determine down to the actual point bonus what an item or such does, but abilitiies like the Psi power Object Reading and other abilities (perhaps something for Artisans or Performers specifically) will allow you to get an idea of what various objects do for you.

Another change you should expect is some limitation on how many magic items you can use together. We'll probably limit it so only a certain number of magic items can be used together, particularly to raise a specific stat or skill.

Other changes that are likely in live:

• Items no longer providing really wacked bonuses, like a gun boosting evasion.
  • Worn weapons providing bonuses at all.
  • Most items that have no specific worn slot are likely to have no bonuses or very slight ones.
  • Alterers refusing to modify magic items' worn locations.

Now all that said, one likely nice thing is a greater variety of magic items and magic item benefits. Magic items will probably be quite common in live, it's just a matter of locating the ones you want most with the greatest benefits that will be tricky.

New powers will be granted to items, like hp / sp / fp max boosts, increased regeneration of those or of wounds, resistance boosts, maybe even a rare RT reduction item. Some items might even grant powers or abilities the character would otherwise not have.

Players can also look forward to systems to build magic items as well.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Worn weapons providing bonuses at all.

Huzzah. I never thought this made any sense.

Quote:
Magic items will probably be quite common in live, it's just a matter of locating the ones you want most with the greatest benefits that will be tricky.

Oooh sounds fun. Making magic items sounds cool, too... but who would be able to do it? It might be interesting if it took multiple people/professions to build the thing. Like a technician/artisan could put something together and then a mage could imbue (I think I'm using the right word here...) it with magicalness.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, ideally multiple people would be involved. Although tech and magic clash (we really should have -no- magic pulse weapons...) so I doubt techs would team up with magics to make a magic widget... but yeah.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Gabriel

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Yeah, ideally multiple people would be involved. Although tech and magic clash (we really should have -no- magic pulse weapons...) so I doubt techs would team up with magics to make a magic widget... but yeah.

Wait. No magic widgets? Damn. On to world domination plan B.

-Gabriel
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
we really should have -no- magic pulse weapons...

B-b-b...but... but... but I like my magic pulse weapon!
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Damn. There goes my idea for Most Retarded Alteration Ever.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
Ponderer

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I definitely prefer the idea of limiting magical items, when I saw that cyberware was based off a subset of charisma known as essence, I knew that the balance to limit the same cyberware type bonuses in magical items would come. Smile

If I may ask though, is it possible to have bonuses such as these in a flavor aside from magical? Even if they all do the same thing, but they just can't work together, I think it might be better, and add depth to the creation systems in a very simple way if there was not only magical enchantment (those glasses make you more perceptive), but psionic imbues (those glasses extend your visual awareness) and technological enhancement (those glasses are equipped with the latest multi-level scanning technology...which makes you more perceptive). That way technicians would not be relying on magic in their items (since as was stated they clash) etc.

I think, much like cyberware, the limits for the amount and strength of any enhancements should be based off of game factors such as intelligence and spell research. I.E.- Someone with 100 intelligence can have more enchanted items on them than someone with 50 intelligence, but less than someone with 100 intelligence and 100 spell research.

This might allow for different people to realistically get enhancements along an axis they are strong with, while at the same time negating the possibility of abuse out of simple diminished payback. I.E.- the mercenary would not train intelligence to 100 to get better enchantments if he could just train vitality to 100 to get health and regenerative type psionic imbues while not focusing so heavily on a stat that is not primary to his profession.

Or, to keep the creation systems from being viable only to the classes that create them, we could allocate a certain amount of our stats to the subset involved. I.E.- 90% of my charisma goes to cyberware, i can't barter, but i'm a metal man! or 90% of my intelligence goes to magical attunement, i may have a learning disability but the mojo loves me! etc.

I'll stop here, but what does anyone think?
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If I may ask though, is it possible to have bonuses such as these in a flavor aside from magical? Even if they all do the same thing, but they just can't work together, I think it might be better, and add depth to the creation systems in a very simple way if there was not only magical enchantment (those glasses make you more perceptive), but psionic imbues (those glasses extend your visual awareness) and technological enhancement (those glasses are equipped with the latest multi-level scanning technology...which makes you more perceptive). That way technicians would not be relying on magic in their items (since as was stated they clash) etc.

This is perfectly reasonable, it's the "ancient mystical techno scanner with glowing magical runes and imbued with godly power" that makes no sense at all. A electrinic device/weapon that has superior technology could certainly have bonuses similer to magic ones, though some abilities might have an obviously mystical nature and not have a technological equivilent, though the opposite is also true.
Ponderer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:

Nifty!

Yes...ancient mystical techno scanner of godly power...unrealistic... (eyes glaze over) Must... resist desire for one!

Seriously though I thank you for your response, and I hope it is feasable within the system, as I'd hate to have bonus-giving items be something that technicians miss out on.

Before I go, just to add to my idea-

I also think that if instead, all creation systems were based off of a stat, that instead of needing to allocate some of that stat to use the enchantments, imbues or tech, the classes who make them, technicians, mages and psionicists should get a class ability which allows them to innately have a percentage of their stat moved into the secondary stat without losing the primary.
I.E.- A mercenary with 25 intelligence must move 20 into attunement for enchantment, leaving him 20 attunement, 5 intelligence. But a mage who has 100 intelligence automatically gets 10 to his attunement without losing any from his intelligence.
Then have the attunement increase be based on the ability of the mage or psionicst or technician, such as their electronics, spell casting (or spell research), psionic ability (or occult lore) skills.

And just to add to an idea already on the table - Enchantments and the like that take more than one person, could the same be said for cyberware, with technicians and medics? I think that might be nice.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:

HR-Hunter wrote:
A electrinic device/weapon that has superior technology could certainly have bonuses similer to magic ones, though some abilities might have an obviously mystical nature and not have a technological equivilent, though the opposite is also true.

Whew, then next time I get an alteration that includes adding bonuses for a price, I won't mind asking for an armband or something that gives Yaru his super ninja field of vitality +100.

Very Happy
 Back to top »
maddie

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Whew, then next time I get an alteration that includes adding bonuses for a price, I won't mind asking for an armband or something that gives Yaru his super ninja field of vitality +100.

That actually makes more sense than the other stuff, since Yaru has very low vitality...
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject:

maddie wrote:
Quote:

That actually makes more sense than the other stuff, since Yaru has very low vitality...

Exactly!
 Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject:

What you really need to do is make magic items that have goofy, non-bonusy effects. Like a ring that turns you into a small mouse for like 5 minutes.

Or things along that vein.

::nods::
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject:

maddie wrote:
Quote:

Oh! And since the logic of it all was mentioned...

You tap a restored black glass amulet suspended by a silver chain.

The amulet, which suffered years of misuse and poor treatment, appears to have been restored by careful and dilligent hands. An elegant visage of Oshib is somehow etched inside the glass, possibly making it someone's long-forgotten prayer fetish.

+6 vit Very Happy
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » This topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: