FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Scouting, tracking, skinning Oh My!
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Scouting, tracking, skinning Oh My!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Scouting, tracking, skinning Oh My!

Query:

Is there a skill that helps scouting? I would have thought perception but I was told that it's not based on anything.

From what I understand, and please feel free to correct me, whoever's baby this is.

This is basically what scouting is.

1. Whether the person was a tracker covering their tracks (scouting won't find them).

2. How long it's been since they passed through.

I think scouting could be so much more than that, seems like it's been possibly overlooked a little.

Anyone can track, anyone can scout of course if they put the points in, however.....I'd love to see it more geared to agents and trackers.

While I do think agents should get a bonus to moving in town, and trackers outside of town, I still fail to see the logic that agents can move as easily and as silently as trackers that have lived and breathed the forests all their lives. I keep seeing these guys and girls all in black trying to pathetically blend in to the grass and leaves and trees. Not very realistic compared to what a tracker would be out in the same environment. That being the case wouldn't trackers be quieter and a lot more unnoticeable in town or at least just as much as agents would be outside of town?

Another question I have is, do Trackers get any bonuses in scouting? But wait, scouting isn't a skill, or based on any. Or is it? I know there is Scout Quick to bring the RT down to 10. But I do think Agents should get a little bonus in town, bring the RT down to possibly 8, Trackers the same thing, outside of town. But the true question is, is scouting a skill?. Scouting to me screams someone that can spot, almost smell or taste the direction someone went, then spot out the tiniest footprint in the dust to follow. Someone that knows the difference between a Darju and Human, in an instant, and with just with one glance down. These are my thoughts on what I pictured scouting to be.

I'd appreciate any insight, anybody can give that designed the system, or where it may go in Beta or live.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject:

TheTrackerChick wrote:
While I do think agents should get a bonus to moving in town, and trackers outside of town, I still fail to see the logic that agents can move as easily and as silently as trackers that have lived and breathed the forests all their lives.

I agree with that. There are 2 seperate skills for bonuses to perception: in town(streetwise) and out(tracking). I also realize that that isnt the main function of those 2 skills. At one point in time I was gonna suggest 2 seperate stealth skills, rural and urban stealth. Perhaps have them coincide, having a bit of urban stealth still helps in rural areas but not nearly as much as having the rural stealth and vice versa. I understand it would be a bit of a pain to do that though.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scouting, tracking, skinning Oh My!

TheTrackerChick wrote:
Another question I have is, do Trackers get any bonuses in scouting? But wait, scouting isn't a skill, or based on any. Or is it? I know there is Scout Quick to bring the RT down to 10. But I do think Agents should get a little bonus in town, bring the RT down to possibly 8, Trackers the same thing, outside of town. But the true question is, is scouting a skill?. Scouting to me screams someone that can spot, almost smell or taste the direction someone went, then spot out the tiniest footprint in the dust to follow. Someone that knows the difference between a Darju and Human, in an instant, and with just with one glance down. These are my thoughts on what I pictured scouting to be.

I'd appreciate any insight, anybody can give that designed the system, or where it may go in Beta or live.

I also think Agents (urban areas) and Trackers (rural areas) should get some type of bonus (to cut down on RT) to scouting. Also think Trackers should just naturally be better at scouting and tracking people.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject:

[08.28.04] The following changes have been made to the SCOUT command:

- Trackers receive greatly reduced RT in rural areas, and minimally reduced RT in urban areas.

- Agents receive greatly reduced RT in urban areas, and minimally reduced RT in rural areas. However, these bonuses are slightly lower than those for Trackers.

- All characters receive RT reduction based on Tracking skill in rural areas, and Streetwise skill in urban areas.

- All characters receive RT reduction based on perception.

- Heavily trafficked areas will increase the RT for scouting.

- It is no longer possible to scout while blinded. RT is increased if one's eyes are badly damaged even if you are not fully blind.

- Darkness now affects RT for those without light sources.

Note: As per their bonuses, the penalties for darkness/blind are reduced for Agents.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject:

Wow, a lot of changes. Thank you Trevor.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject:

That's great, thanks Trevor!
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Scouting, tracking, skinning Oh My!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: