FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Psionic Ability List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionic Ability List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject:

The effect magic/psionics have on your tech will diminish over time. If one stops using tech (by no longer using the device and/or having implants removed or disabled somehow) the effect of tech will diminish.

As Hunter said, however, implants are generally always working for you, and therefore they are always in use, so their effect on your magic/psi does not diminish so long as the implant(s) remain operational.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I understand this
Quote:
tech effecting magic it won't naturally recover, because implants use up a portion of your permanant essence(unless surgically removed) and essence directly relates to your "spell points", so more tech, less spells you can cast.
However, will tech be affecting the strength of the spells that you can cast? I guess my thoughts on regeneration of strength would apply to the spells affecting tech more so.

To add some realism to the ilogicalness of how it's set to be right now, you could make it as a drain to implants when you cast spells. The drain would be the spells requiring essence to be cast so your body temporarily sucks it back from the implant, rendering the implant useless or operating at a decreased level. The downside to this would be (I'm assuming essence, or whatever, recharges at a decent pace for magic users without implants) that the essence recharge to the implants would take a good bit longer.

Now, the seesaw effect might not work if this were implemented because, I'm looking more at the #'s in relation now. If you set it like Trevor mentioned it, you would effectively still have 100% of your essence, it would just be proportioned. To make it more realistic, the drain effect uses up essence.

Here's how I envision it, if I heard this right some where, magic and implants both use essence. The thing of it would be, with implants, you physically have all of your essence #'s wise because you can add up what part you have keeping you human with all the parts that each implant uses and you should get 100% of your essence. When you start casting spells though, you use up and no longer have that amount of essence physically. So the drain effect is logical as well as the recharge but, it should take both magic and implants down a little more in relation to the spell and such. Say a spell requires 10 points of essence. Then it takes those 10 points from the implants and affects it's percentage of operation.

The only other thing is this would enable one to have 100% of their magic skills until they run out of essence. Could set it up so that magic uses minute amounts of essence for those without implants and fairly sizeable chunks for those with implants based on a percentage scale for the amount of essence in use by implants. This would also be somewhat logical as it would be a little harder to drain the essence out of the implants requiring some behind the scenes magic. I'll try to work out the mathematic formula's for my idea if it's appealing enough.

Last edited by Nojym on Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject:

The catch is, if your essence use is too high, it may be flat impossible to cast or use psi, and likewise, heavy saturation of magic use may render your essence "locked" for a while where implants and tech can't use it even though it's there.

I'm sure Morrigan, Hunter and I will work out the detail on it, but the basic concept is that if you want to switch gears from magic to tech and vice versa, you have to wait it out a while, rather than just cast a bunch of low power spells to increase your magic power, etc.

Back to top »
Nojym

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Updated my last post a lil after you read it I guess Trevor, sorry. Mind reading it again? Embarassed
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. This is hard for me to think of in the terms you've laid out, and probably because of differing visions on how essence works.

I see essence not like mana or HP, but more like slots. Say you have 300 essence (random number) and this implant you want uses 50 of it, leaving you 250 left to use. So you have 250/300 essence left (50/300 used).

Essence doesn't "regen" per se. It's used or not used. What -does- regen is the effect of magic/psi on your essence. Let's just call this "saturation" for sake of a better term. If you are 50% saturated with magic/psi, your tech will operate at 50% effectiveness. Some tech may fail completely at this point, if that's how Morrigan/Hunter would like it to work.

By the same token, any essence-using tech will affect magic. At 50/300 essence use, that's 16% usage. So your spells would be at 84% effectiveness/duration/etc. Any rolls for fumble/critical fail would be increased a bit too.

Back to top »
Nojym

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I see now how your using essence in relation to tech and mag/psi. Yeah, I was thinking something completely opposite so best to stick with what ya got. My idea would require a complete redo in coding I'm sure.
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If your an all teched out Mage, damn, you'd be almost unstopable if you could use everything to full power.

As explained before, essence takes care of this already. A teched out Mage most likely wouldn't even be able to cast a spell, and if he could, it would be weak to the point of being pointless.

And if the double standard is kept, not only will any spell he casts be completely useless (from lack of essence), but it will reduce the effectiveness of every piece of tech/implants he has, making himself worse off then he was to start with. This is what I'm against, not the essence balancing effect.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject:

While not a perfect solution, my thoughts are that attempting to cast magic with heavy essence use will cause magic to outright fail, and failed magic attempts won't hinder tech, only successful ones.

However, being greatly teched out but not so much as to make magic useless would cause mediocrity for both aspects.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionic Ability List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: