FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Magic and Psionic penalties?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Magic and Psionic penalties?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Magic and Psionic penalties?

Ok, I'm not a magic person in the least (though I may experiment a lil in HR ::shrug:Smile so I haven't parused these boards to see if this has been discussed or not. However, I was telling a friend of mine about HR and this friend is a magic user in "that other game". I asked them what is one of their biggest qualms with that other game under the guise that I would attempt to display how HR is approaching the same subject to prove to them how much better HR is. Well, my buddy stumped me becasue it had to do with magic. So in an attempt to save face here, I'll ask his question and relay the response.

His biggest qualm was the evasion penalty in magic. More detailed, his evasion drops while prepping spells. I do know that prepping spells in that other game does involve a short amount of time as it involves several steps (some excludable at higher level <i.e. targeting the enemy for TM spells>), each step having RT. I know this friend has relatively high evasion and have witnessed him receiving fairly hard hits from a single critter while prepping a spell that he would normally be able to dance with even if the critter had several friends helping. So what's HR's take on this. Are spells gonna be quicker and easier prepped, will there be a penalty to evasion or anything else while prepping a spell, and if there is a penalty will there be anything that can be done to help offset the penalty? He did mention that the penalty lessens with his magical skills and he believes that one can work it down to vertually null.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject:

There is no evasion penalty planned for prepping, at the current. There is a prep time, and you can't snap cast... you -must- wait the prep time, but the prep time is reduced as you become more proficient.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject:

NO EVASION PENALTY????

::gets on his hands and knees and kisses Trevor's feet over and over along with the feet of anyone that helped code the magic/psionic system::

Promise me one other thing:

Don't completely rewrite one of the core systems of the game after this thing has been open for a couple years without making sure things WORK RIGHT before the release? Smile

As I understand it, the "two week long" Magic 2.1 preview that started on my 23rd birthday is STILL going on due to issues with the core stystem that took so long to figure out... My birthday is in May, by the way...
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject:

Hey Gage *blink, blink!* umm, umm, I mean *clears his throat* Dante. Though I don't use magic, I feel your pain. 2.1 has got lots of things screwed up but hey, whacha expect. Any rate, May what. The 3rd here.

Thank you very, very much for the info Trevor. I know my friend will like the idea about having no evasion penalty, not sure about the not being able to snap cast though ::shrug::. Now if I can just convince him that Halflings aren't the supreme race and he can have fun with another race Shocked Wink .
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject:

As I said, training allows you to cast quicker, and the mage profession gets a bonus to lower prep times. Psionics don't have a prep time, btw, so they are insta-cast by nature, though in some cases, some might have a delayed effect. Alchemy uses several delayed effects, like healing potions aren't immediate, so you can't save your hide at the very last minute with one. As with magic, the delay on many potions goes down as the alchemist preparing it increases in skill.

As to revising the system two years later... that is almost guaranteed to happen from time to time with some systems. However, I believe in releasing things "done" except any bugs we failed to catch (because we will always miss -some- despite all our testing)... but we will test rigorously and fix the bugs asap. If the general consensus of the player base is that a change should be undone until the bugs are fixed, we will do so if it is possible.

Letting major bugs in major systems wait from May until November is not an option in my book, and it speaks volumes about the poor management DR suffers from, to be frank.

Back to top »
HR-Phoenix

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject:

Ya think DR talk about us as fondly as we do them?

Or will that come in time?

~Phoenix~

Who would love the H word dropped on the DR forums sometime Wink
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I doubt we'll get talked a lot about right now. In the future, we'll see. <g>

And I give your post a life of 3 seconds before a board monitor pulled it Very Happy

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Magic and Psionic penalties?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: