FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Psionics/Spell Adjustments
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionics/Spell Adjustments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Psionics/Spell Adjustments

There was concern brought up when this new proposal was suggested about Psionics and Mages losing much of their allure, since they as professions really don't have a whole lot to themselves aside from a few sets of spells/powers that no one else can research but them. There are a few other professions that have this problem, but since I play a Psionic I'm focusing on them obviously. Razz I've been trying to think of a few ways to remedy this. You guys may already have things planned in this area, but it doesn't hurt to make suggestions anyhow, right?

- Learning spells/powers
Currently, Psionics and Mages get access to a power/spell every 6 points of Occult Lore/Spell Research, respectively. This number is 8 for everyone else. This boils down to a new power every even numbered level. For everyone else, they need 8 points of the skill, meaning they can get a spell/power every 4 levels. This new system allows two ways to raise this, spending skill points and/or using the skill.

With the new per level cap set at an outright 5 points per level per skill, the numbers for when a character can learn a power need to change. If it's 10 points for the Mages and Psionics, then that's all good, since it's still at a new power every other level. For everyone else, it needs to be increased a like number of points or perhaps even more, which would mean that to learn a spell or power other professions would need 20-25 points in the skill to learn one. I push toward the higher end because that would mean the other professions would have to burn that many skill points if they wanted to learn a spell or power initially so they can even start to train the skill at all.

Ultimately, under the new system this would mean that for a non magic using character to be able to start learning a spell/power as soon as they can, they would have to spend all of the skill points they earn until level 6-7 on that single skill (if I'm reading the table right). After such if they train like an AFK scripter in the early days of DR they could begin learning a power every 4-5 levels.

- Making Powers worth more
This can go for spells too, but as I am a Psionic, I thought of this one first.
Psionics should be able to get more out of their powers than members of the other professions do. This is sort of the case by the increased power we have from professional bonuses, but what of powers like Psychic Sight and Object Reading? Anyone can currently use these, and the Psionics get no bonus when they use these that I can tell. For such powers (and spells), I suggest adding something to them that only Psionics can access, perhaps once they hit a certain benchmark in skill or level. Maybe even a quest to further their understanding of this power.

For example, Object Reading gives the user the ability to sense bonuses and special properties of items. It also gives them access to the SENSE verb. Once a Psionic has enough skill (or levels), they can expand this abilty to be able to sense another person and tell what spells/powers/spellsongs are working on them. Or even just to be able to pick out any magical items the person is wearing. Or perhaps be able to tell if an object is a certain alignment. Or perhaps for really powerful psionics, be able to sense hiding or invisible people nearby if they are wearing a lot of magical items.

The same with Telepathy and Psychic Sight. I don't think either has a range on it now, since I can hear and send thoughts in the OOC area, while excavating, dead (well, not SEND them while dead), stunned, etc. This could be because everyone is concentrated into this one area, but I know that won't be the case once we go into Live. Put a range on both, and make Psionics able to double or even triple that range with enough training.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. All points we will consider during the adjustment of spells/psi and their research.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Psionics/Spell Adjustments
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: