FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Factoring Levels
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Factoring Levels
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should your level be counted in combat (all types) resolution for hit/miss/damage/etc?
Not at all - only stuff like skills, stats, weapons, etc.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Just a little bit, a little edge but not a decisive factor.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Very important, maybe as much as skills/stats even.
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Super important, far more important than actual skills/stats.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 34

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Factoring Levels

Do you think levels should factor into combat calcs (both weapon-based and magic/psi/spellsongs/etc.)?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
dralbientu

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject:

My initial thought is that they should be unrelated, but after pondering it a second -- if I can actually be said to be pondering with this little coffee this early in ght morning -- I can see some counter-points.

Consider the case of a 50th level non-combat profession, say an artisan just for the sake of an example, and a 1st level mercenary. That 1st level mercenary shouldn't, from a "I spent a lot of time on my character" perspective, be able to hijack the experiences of the 50th level player just by walking up and capping them if that artisan isn't familiar with a wepon. Granted, it also isn't realistic that they'd be rebuffed by someone that can't even kill an asapi, but still. So from that perspective I can see it helping.

Of course, as someone goes up in level, they'll have both higher stats and more discretionary skill raising that they're able to do, whether with the current exp system or the proposed live system. With that model in mind, as someone goes up in level, they should become more effective in combat irregardless. Even if they just pop 2-4 points in a weapon, they should still be better than a 1st level character when they have 20-30 stat points in each stat backing that skill.

Wow. Coffee time. Definitely coffee time.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject:

I think, if any, it should only factor in a little. Definitely not a deciding factor, in my opinion. Maybe for psi/magic, level could factor into prep time and resistance, at least some. With spellsongs, I say it should help somewhat. For weapons, maybe increase the damage range... like if a sword could do 10-15 damage at level 5, maybe it could do 12-17 damage at level 10.

At the same time, however, I'm torn... because a level is really just a marker. If you wanted to have greater weapon damage, for example, you should just train strength when you level. Hmm... my vote is with "just a little bit."
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Factoring Levels
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: