FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Jobs 'n' RP (VERY LONG)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Jobs 'n' RP (VERY LONG)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Jobs 'n' RP (VERY LONG)

Here's a log of the chat with Aelorae Ero...

Quote:
Aelorae Ero says, "We're trying for an RP thats a little less scripted than you may find in some places."
Aelorae Ero says, "I guess what I'm saying is....there's no set goal we're trying to accomplish other than to have fun."
Aelorae Ero says, "And as we do so, we'll write our story along the way."
Aelorae Ero says, "Now, with that said....we have things we'll do, some plans we have, but that's just a kind of outline."
Aelorae Ero says, "Now, where we're headed now...."
Aelorae Ero says, "I'm sure you've all noticed the mansion on the other side of the 'maze' out the Zen Garden gate..."
Aelorae Ero says, "And the scaffolding at the edge of the world."
Aelorae Ero says, "These are both areas that are currently under construction."
Aelorae Ero says, "But will be open as soon as I tie the sadistic person upstairs down and make him construct."
Aelorae Ero says, "Some of you may have also heard me talk about job positions I'll be taking applications for."
Aelorae Ero taps a submission box.
Aelorae Ero says, "I have a nifty box here that accepts paper of all sorts, like the kind you can buy at the post office."
Aelorae Ero says, "What I'll be asking you to do....will be to write me a resume."
Aelorae Ero says, "And make sure to tell me what position you're applying for,."
Aelorae Ero says, "Get creative."
Aelorae Ero says, "But not too creative."
Aelorae Ero says, "I won't take anything that looks too good to be true, so to speak."
Aelorae Ero says, "Its a chance for you to develop your characters background a bit."
Aelorae Ero says, "I don't even really need a list of previous jobs."
Aelorae Ero says, "I'd prefer just the position your applying for, and WHY should hire you, WHY you're qualified, and WHAT you can bring to the position."
Aelorae Ero says, "Feel free to utilize your existing skills.....Brenton, tell me you're REALLY good at healing people if you apply to be a doctor."
Aelorae Ero says, "Neifl, tell me you're really good at killing people if you apply to be a soldier."
Aelorae Ero says, "As for what positions I have....."
Aelorae Ero says, "We'll be spontaneous."
Aelorae Ero says, "Of course we'll have a captain, and a first officer, and an engineer, and damnit captain I'm a doctor not a milk maid."
Aelorae Ero says, "But yeah, come up with your own."
Aelorae Ero says, "I won't promise you that there won't be NPCs filling some of the positions."
Aelorae Ero says, "The airship will most likely contain 2-3 decks below the main deck."
Aelorae Ero says, "And it will resemble a final fantasy flying boat to some extent."
Aelorae Ero says, "I haven't decided yet, but being hired may actually pay you...something besides alone time with Neifl."
Aelorae Ero says, "Being a good in-game RPer will help as well for those who apply."
Aelorae Ero says, "So will having a reputation for being in game a lot....at least in game often while I'm paying attention."
Aelorae Ero says, "This isn't to say you should give up your personal lives.....never mind."
Aelorae Ero says, "I mean.....not being in 24/7 won't necessarily hinder you."
Aelorae Ero says, "Now, what I'm looking for as far as RP goes..."
Aelorae Ero says, "Like I said, I'm a very spontaneous role player."
Aelorae Ero says, "I can't work from a script."
Aelorae Ero says, "I want people for the crew who can likewise RP within the limits of their character....but don't need to be told what to do."
Aelorae Ero says, "For instance, if you're hired as...say...a construction worker, that won't mean you have to be at the construction site every waking moment.....but if you're in town, role playing....you might work some of your days activities into your conversation."
Aelorae Ero turns to Glim and sighs, "Man, my back is killing me, they had me welding on hull plating all afternoon!"
Aelorae Ero says, "And yeah, there may be areas assigned to people, or people assigned to areas."
Aelorae Ero asks, "So, any questions?"
Aelorae Ero says, "I may have some suggestions as we work on the inner construction of the ship, right now we're still designing the outside."
Aelorae Ero says, "But you're welcome to turn in multiple applications."
Aelorae Ero says, "And yeah, I won't be hiring everyone just because they apply."
Aelorae Ero asks, "Brenton?"
Brenton Miller says, "Yeh."
Brenton Miller asks, "Okay, if I'm a construction worker...does that job end as soon as its done?"
Brenton Miller says, "Or does "repairing" still go on."
Aelorae Ero says, "Probably. And maybe. Depends on what you apply for in your resume."
Brenton Miller says, "And can you have more than one job."
Aelorae Ero says, "Give me an outline of your job duties."
Brenton Miller says, "If they don't conflict."
Aelorae Ero asks, "What should your job ential?"
Brenton Miller says, "LIke construction worker and Doctor...one is an off ship duty."
Brenton Miller says, "Construction worker....uh...I guess that really implies only construction, but worker in general."
Aelorae Ero says, "Sure, if you wanna say that your job as consturction worker would end as soon as the ship was ready for launch."
Brenton Miller says, "But when it lands...say it repairs...could my constructioning job resume? cause I'm only a doctor on the ship when its in the air..."
Brenton Miller says, "And you can't really construct when its in the air."
Aelorae Ero asks, "Dokaf?"
Brenton Miller says, "Say it needs* repairs."
Brenton Miller babbles incoherently.
You ask, "So, all that's going on right now is the ship is being built? Or should we also apply for jobs that might appear when we start flying?"
Aelorae Ero says, "Both."
Aelorae Ero says, "But yeah, all thats going on right now is the construction."
Aelorae Ero says, "BUt a navigator could be training to fly."

Aelorae Ero asks, "Who here is familiar with dynamic versus 'agreed upon' roleplay?"
Aelorae Ero says, "Haelrahv is semi-dynamic, in that I can kill you and you have to accept it...."
Aelorae Ero says, "But..."
Brenton Miller says, "Agreed is free form."
Aelorae Ero says, "If I ACT as if I'm pushing you to the ground, you don't have to fall."
Brenton Miller says, "Meaning you only use actions and assuming the person your doing the act to has to agree."
Aelorae Ero says, "Exactly, Brenton."
Aelorae Ero says, "I'd like us to all become more dynamic."
Aelorae Ero says, "The kind of dynamic I prefer uses fewer built in commands, and more...I deal with what happens."
Aelorae Ero says, "Every action has consequences. Accept them."
Mellie Knight says, "Another words, if someone pushes you. Deal with it and fall."
Mellie Knight says, "Then get up and kick their butt."
Aelorae Ero says, "Exactly."

Aelorae Ero knocks a vase to the floor. It crashes to the ground, spilling out across Mellie's feet.
Neifl Cacambo yawns.
Aelorae Ero says, "Whoops."
Mellie Knight kicks her boots off and glares at Aelorae.
Lynettia Al'Traisha glances at the scattered remains of the vase and looks around for a broom.
Lynettia Al'Traisha casually glances around the area.
Aelorae Ero rummages through one of the cabinets and offers Mellie Knight a towl.
Brenton Miller gets a shovel with the wording BASHY on the blade and an image on the back from a rugged high-capacity telyron-fiber backpack.
Brenton Miller asks, "Mine nudging those pieces onto my shovel?"
Brenton Miller peers quizzically at Lynettia Al'Traisha.
Mellie Knight accepts the towel from Aelorae, dries her feet and slips her boots back on.
Lynettia Al'Traisha nods to Brenton Miller.
Mellie Knight says, "Thank you."
Brenton Miller puts the shovel blade flat on the ground.

Aelorae Ero says, "And no, Brenton...you don't have to deal with stupid people."
Jade Venra says, "This is reassuring.. for they abound."
Lynettia Al'Traisha using her foot she scoots all the peices into a pile then up onto the shovel.
Aelorae Ero says, "I refuse to play with stupid people. I will share space with them, but I won't role play with them."
Aelorae Ero says, "The box will be at the end of the World, outside the foreman's shack for now."
Brenton Miller gives the contents of his shovel a heave over his shoulder and overboard.

>----------------------------------Aelorae----------------------------------
1) What is your characters history?
2) What does your character value? Why?
3) What does your character hate? Why?
4) What are the internal conflicts (everyone has them)?
5) What are your character's fears? Dreams?
6) What affairs are private to your character (done when alone and something he considers too intimate to discuss)? Note: this doesn't mean "dirty" or even "secret." For instance, a tough killer that loves opera would sure likely not say anything about that, and a good character who daydreams of being a captain of a ship full of pirate-hunters so he could mercilessly slay pirates isn't going to to want people to know his "dark" side either.
7) What does your character consider personal? This is things done alone, or among close friends, that he considers special and cherishes. Example might be playing a musical instrument (though not well), or a frankness about his fears that would leave him exposed to ridicule or even betrayal. When you are personal you are trusting, with all the risks and consequences.
Cool Finally, what is your character like in public and with others who are not personal friends? This includes his work or profession, his willingness to support others (or not). His dress, grooming, hygeine, weapons, etc. Much of this should find its way into various descriptions and be readily apparent.
@crt
---------------------------------finished----------------------------------

Aelorae Ero says, "Now, you don't have to read or do anything with that."
Aelorae Ero says, "I don't want to see it."
Aelorae Ero says, "But it won't hurt you to have it all at least THOUGHT about."
Aelorae Ero says, "And your family can consist of fictional characters."
Aelorae Ero says, "I once played a character with a wife and three sons....who never entered the picture, but they were there, I spoke about them, and they had 'lives' so to speak, because they were a part of my character."
Aelorae Ero says, "By the way I'm blatantly stealing that paste from a friend of mine....here's the entire link if you want to read up more on dynamic RP as it deals with games that are completly un skill based."

----------------------------------Aelorae----------------------------------
http://members.limitless.org/~brianj/nics_rules.html
---------------------------------finished----------------------------------

Tshar Dgnara says, "I remember some of the old school AOL and compuserve chatrooms."
Tshar Dgnara says, "Total RP."
Zamde Morgav says, "That's what I prefer."
Brenton Miller says, "Same really."
Aelorae Ero says, "Yeah, I RPd for years before I realized you could play and require skills."
Tshar Dgnara says, "And games like Zork heh."
Brenton Miller says, "Then again, its hard to have anyone actually die in them."
Brenton Miller grumbles under his breath.
Brenton Miller says, "From my experience."
Aelorae Ero says, "People love their characters."
Tshar Dgnara grins.
Lynettia Al'Traisha says, "I managed to die that way."
Lynettia Al'Traisha nods to Brenton Miller.
Mellie Knight's storm grey carrier shifts slightly as something moves inside it.
Mellie Knight folds her arms across her chest.
Lynettia Al'Traisha says, "Course I used to play fair."
Aelorae Ero says, "But one of the best RPs I ever started involved the death of the character I mentioned earlier...the one with the wife and kids."
Zamde Morgav says, "Not dying is one thing, the Goldstein Combat Effect is the stupid part."
Aelorae Ero says, "I'd played him for 5 years, and it was time to move on."
Lynettia Al'Traisha says, "If someone exploded a bomb next to me I died."
Brenton Miller peers quizzically at Zamde Morgav.
Zamde Morgav says, "Every evasion and counterattack is an extension of the evasion and counterattack before it."
Aelorae Ero says, "Anyhow, I'm really rambling on here."
Aelorae Ero coughs.
Aelorae Ero says, "One reason I want to use a dynamic rp style for this.....we can't code the 10,000 features a good airship would require to work properly."
Aelorae Ero says, "So to have fun, we'll have to wing it."
Aelorae Ero says, "Of course, the last time we 'winged it' here, it was a disaster."
Aelorae Ero says, "The Queen went mad and went on a rampage."
Aelorae Ero says, "Well, alright then. I suppose we can do a good job of things if we try."
Aelorae Ero says, "Anyhow, I'll let you all get back to the game unless you care to hangout and chatter about things. If you need help fleshing out a character, assist and Beau or myself....or maybe even someone else on staff will be happy to come help you out."
You hear the voice of Mickey Brunner say, "Unless his name is Mickey. Then you get thudded."
Aelorae Ero says, "Sure thing, I actually only intended to announce my plans for job apps, but...I got side tracked."

Phew. There was a lot more said by other people there, but that was all the important stuff.
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Hey, thanks for posting this. Some nice pracitical RP tips, and I'm glad to know they're looking for applicants cause I wasn't in-game.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Another thing I wanted to add... the jobs/construction thing seems like a really good RP catalyst (couldn't think of a better word), but for those who don't get hired or whose character wouldn't take a job or whatever... they'd be able to interact with people when they're on the job and stuff, right?
 Back to top »
Kitae

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm still confused as to what you are asking. Could someone condense that long capture log for me? I got lost midway through it.
The *job* per se was what confused me the most. Our profession is limited by the amount of experience overall we have so of course it's impossible for me to kill someone who is a much higher level than me, much less have as many skills acquired through all the leveling.
There is no equality that I see here. It seems all the higher level players will get first dibs. I'm boycotting.

Kitae
 Back to top »
mellie
Artistic Bitch

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject:

You could try role-playing instead of going on Kitae's skills alone. If you had been at the meeting or actually read the log you might realize this.

There is a link in the log, Click it and read it it might help you understand the entire point behind that meeting.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:

This is how I understand it. . .feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong anyone. . .

All the *jobs* would be totally RP'ed out by the player if they were hired. . .mostly spontaneous and creatively. It would be the players responsibility to act and RP their character in relationship to their job. The example Aelorae gave is there:. . .if youre a construction worker. . .RP that your back hurts from working all day. . .something of that nature. Little RP things to really get into it.

I think its a great idea and really hope my character gets hired.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to point out that the entire reason for that meeting was to explain that this RP really didn't have a lot to do with skills. Sure, there have been critters attacking that only a few people were powerful enough to destroy. Wonderful, more fodder for the medics. But there's no skill anywhere that dictates how well you roleplay. Skills are merely a way of letting you keep track of how much time you spend mindlessly doing repetitive tasks over and over. As was also mentioned in the meeting...there's no easy way to program in enough systems to make the airship work based on skill alone, nor do we want to! So we've turned it into a roleplaying free for all. *gasps*

It was mentioned that if you were good at something, then it wouldn't hurt to put that into your job application. But trust me, we'll pick the medic who can RP reviving someone over the medic that can do it at the touch of a script anyday, regardless of skill and level. Or maybe we'll go with an auto-Doc. No guarantees. Whatever gives us the best roleplaying experience.

The captain of this vessel won't have to have high skills in nautical or aviation, neither will the navigator...because those aren't indicators of how well you give or take orders.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Another thing I wanted to add... the jobs/construction thing seems like a really good RP catalyst (couldn't think of a better word)

That's a wonderful word! Normally we use conflict to breed RP, because it works very well....as it did when the Queen lost her mind. This time we're using change and ambition and mutual cooperation as our catalyst, but who knows....maybe not everyone wants this airship to be built? There might be some elements among the population who think searching for new places is a waste of time, or dangerous....

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
but for those who don't get hired or whose character wouldn't take a job or whatever... they'd be able to interact with people when they're on the job and stuff, right?

Yeah, unless the airship is away from port, the crew would be free to interact with others. And vice versa. There will be times when the crew will be "required" to be at their posts, and times when passengers may be allowed onboard.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm with Beau. High skills != excellent RPer.

EDIT: I should expound. I don't mean that anyone that's an extremely high level isn't a good roleplayer. But, were it my RP event, I'd always take a handful of first-level characters with a superb roleplaying sense than a high-level character that spends 24/7 hunting and brewing potions with no sense of a real Character. I find the former a zillion times more impressive. Game on.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There is no equality that I see here. It seems all the higher level players will get first dibs. I'm boycotting.

You're boycotting something you don't understand before you have a chance to understand it?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Kitae wrote:
Could someone condense that long capture log for me? I got lost midway through it.

..... That used to be about 10x as long before I cut out all the extraneous info. Sorry if it's still too long *shrugs*.

Kitae wrote:
There is no equality that I see here. It seems all the higher level players will get first dibs.

I don't get it... I don't think Aelorae is even going to look at level. All the jobs are going to be (almost?) purely based on rp'ing.
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I just want to remind everyone that reads this that the airship RP event thing, for lack of a better term, is for ANYONE that wants to get involved and RP it out. You dont have to be hired as airship personell to get involved. If youre around and want to just jump in and start RP'ing with others, go right ahead as long as its feasable and coincides with whats going on.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Jobs 'n' RP (VERY LONG)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: