FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
newbie comm channel
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » newbie comm channel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: newbie comm channel

Just an idea. . .played achaea for a few. . .couldnt really get into it but one thing I really loved about it was that it was very newbie friendly. . .had a seperate talk channel. . .called the newbie channel, where you could ask questions and such. . .even if it was a bit OOC and not get yelled at or berated for being OOC.

I think such a comm channel would be useful in HR maybe in the future. . .and have like. . designated players that would volunteer to help new people and have access to that channel.

Maybe could make it so only level 5 and under can talk on the newbie channel and if youre above that then youd have to volunteer to be a guide or mentor.

Just more random ideas. . .
Mak

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject:

*mumbles, "I, too, have played other games that had ~newbie~ channels for communication but many times it was a useless route if the player base was small, and/or there were none willing to volunteer to be a ~mentor~.

Other young folks could discuss things OOC'ly and perhaps might learn a bit more then they would normally but would it actually be worth the effort of having to ask older players for volunteers, screen said applicants, and then monitor their behaviors toward the newbies over that channel? And being that this is a player-policed game, WHO would actually monitor the channel to make sure the youngins are getting the proper information with the proper attitudes?

I'm in NO way saying that our players would abuse such a position, but in the future who can honestly say what would happen unless there was a system of monitoring it.

I've been a Mentor in other games, and I have even taken hours out of my day here to help youngins when I could. I would be willing to help them out whenever I could, I just have a lot to learn myself still."*

Beware the eye!
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Mak wrote:
many times it was a useless route if the player base was small

Well yea I said in the future when there are more new players.

Mak wrote:
but would it actually be worth the effort of having to ask older players for volunteers

The point of volunteering is doing it of your own free will. . .not having someone ask you to do it. . .<g>

And I would assume that anyone that volunteers to help the new people would have good intentions and not just volunteering to be disruptive. And if it turns out that way. . .hey. . .their access to the channel could be taken away.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject:

As much as it bugs me I fully agree with Tshar on this and would put forward a certain amount of time to being a mentor. I just couldnt guarentee any specific hours.

The Blue Fairy

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Mak

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject:

*Mumbles, "Sorry if I was confusing. I was agreeing with you that it is a worthy avenue...down the road when we have a good player base. I'm afraid I did forget that you had said in the future, while I was trying to word my response.

My comment about being useless was aimed at a few of the games that had a very small elder/player base. Hopefully we'll grow up to a bigger community then that world ever thought of being. I won't mention its name, as it doesn't even deserve the advertisment.

As far as asking for volunteers, I didn't mean literally asking them, I just meant...well I truly don't know exactly what I meant by that. I do know that during my stint as a mentor chief, things are great when a player first becomes a mentor, but they grow tired of it quickly when they happen to be the only one on when most youngins come in, or when others are ~in the middle of something~ and can't quite make time to help. Granted they're volunteers and aren't required to help, but somehow it always seems to become a mental thing when a newbie is asking for help repeatedly and no one has time. I've seen a lot of great enthusiasm in the beginning, but a lot more burnout after months and months of it.

I am in NO way saying that it isn't a great thought...we definately need it here...I'm just saying that a lot of people are willing to volunteer until they actually have to do it all the time and begin to realize all the sacrifice it will take if done correctly...unless there are a lot of ~mentor~ volunteers.

Wow! You've actually made The Mak talk more in one hour then I have in my entire life in the forests. Just know that I'm behind you on this, just beware ALL the intricacies that it will entail."*

Beware the eye!
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject:

I would limit it to level 3 and under. By then, if you don't know how to stay IC, you do deserve whatever's coming your way. And it's not like people asking questions on the comm is a big deal; I see a lot people asking for help and getting it in a timely manner (they just.. can't seem to reply to private comms very well). Not to mention that a lot of older people seem to like asking questions, too.. and they wouldn't have access to the "Newbie/Help-Me Channel".

I'm aware that the suggested channel would be more of a transitionary stage for those that are completely new to the game, but it seems rather OOC in itself to me. Maybe if it's deemed one of those.. uh.. Playability > Reality.. kinda things.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject:

Yea I dunno. . .just throwing out ideas to try and help HR out. . .this idea would make it easier for new players to get help without actually having to be babysat. . .if a player that can hear that channel wants to help. . but is on jareya island or far away they can just transmit on the newbie channel instead of telling them to wait.

Of course can always use private comm messages but there would be a slight bonus with the special channel. . .

If the new player had a question. . .theres a possibility that other new players may have the same question. . .and instead of answering the one in a private comm. . .could answer on the entire channel for the benifit of others.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:

Hmmm good point William unless they automatically broadcasted on the newbie channel we would have the same problem as we do with private comms.

I do however still believe Mentors are a great idea.

TBF

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject:

I actually wouldn't limit the newbie channel at all. Mainly because this gives anyone the ability to answer someones question that they hear. Secondly even experianced players get questions about new things in the game as well. However the ability to turn on or off the newbie channel would prevent people from being hounded by 'OOC' comments if they wish not to. The same shock effect ont he regular comm for OOC material could be in place for material not related to the game, in order to prevent the channel from becoming overly OOC.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I'd want it to be available for everybody to hear, but you can only talk on it if you're under a certain level. Then if you're higher and want to respond, just use a private message. This might be what William was saying... something like this, anyway.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » newbie comm channel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: