FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
A few questions
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » A few questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevonne

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: A few questions

Just a few questions that I have...

Dying: When you die, I understand that you have a choice of 2 things to do. You can either restore and go back to the last time you saved your image or you can wait for a medic to revive you. I know that when you restore, you lose however much experience you have earned since your last image. Are there anymore disadvantages to restoring other than the loss of that experience? I don't really know anyone in the game and I doubt anyone would look for me if I died, so I will probably be restoring for a while if and when I die, I guess I'm just kind of wondering what to expect from this. Will I be very week and need to rest a while? Will it be extremely easy for me to die again? How long do you have to get back to get your items before they dissappear? What is this death penalty that I have heard about?

Combat: Combat is still pretty strange to me, tho I'm getting used to it. Is there actually any advantage to advancing on creatures? I've noticed that creatures don't have to advance on you and you don't have to be at melee with them to hit them with a melee weapon. I have experimented with advancing to melee before I attack and don't seem to kill any faster at melee.

I have played around with ambushing and notice that you don't need to advance to use this either. But more often than not, I'll hide and stalk a creature, only to have it run off before I can get into position to stalk it, making it almost too much of a pain to use. I don't suppose there is any way to keep a creature in a room? (like advancing to melee so it has to retreat first). And will the time it takes to hide (8-12 seconds right now) and stalk a creature go down as I learn more stealth, or change depending on where I am (like in town)?

I use bladed weapons and I have recently been turned on to a gridgun which I LOVE. I guess I'm still not clear on parrying vs. dodging. I understand that if I'm using a gridgun (or any gun?) I won't parry. Is this correct? I guess what I'm really asking is should I be training evasion and parry? So far, I have trained evasion but not parry, and haven't really changed from dodging to parrying. Should I be training both evasion and parry, or pick one based on my stats and stick with that and use those skillpoints elsewhere? Is parrying dependent on strength?

Skills: I tend to save up my skill points until I know what benefit a skill will have for my character. Someone told me I should max-out all of my triple trainable skills, which I have not (but probably have the points to go back and do that if I should) The 2 skills that I'm wondering about are intimidations and disguise. Does intimidation help in combat? Or maybe in other situations that I'm not aware of yet? (i'm only 5th level, so there are alot of situations I just just haven't been in yet).

I'm almost done, I promise! Do certain things fill your mind faster than others? I have noticed that when I hunt, my mind will fill much faster than almost anything else I've tried (foraging, pottery, crushing) Is this in my mind? Someone told me that the more mentality and intellect you have, the longer it will take to fill your mind. Is this true?

Okay, I think that's all for now. I really do like Haelrahv so far. I like the experience system and not being forced to do things I hate doing for hours and hours. Oh! One last question. When the game goes live, I read that you can keep your experience, but not your items. When this happens, will our skills be where they are now or will there be some type of reallocation of skill points?

thanks for bearing with me if you read all of that.

Chevonne
 Back to top »
Chevonne

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject:

oh yeah! One more thing! Do poisons and alchemy go together? I mean if you train poisons and not alchemy, will your poisons suck?

thanks again,
Chevonne
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject:

for the most part from what I have seen in this version of the game so far intimidation doesnt do anything for combat and disguise isnt usable as of yet.

hope that helps

The Blue Fairy

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Just to point out, Disguise isn't a skill. It got assimilated by Steetwise, if I remember correctly.

As far as evasion vs. parry, my personal choice is to pick one (based on stats, mainly) and stick with it.. though it never hurt to have a little of both, according to some peoples' philosophy -- since parry can't protect you from projectiles, and since you automatically try to dodge because of this -- but it's really all a personal choice. I'd go with evasion, if only because it's better to totally avoid getting hit altogether than stand there and try and knock the opponent's weapon away from your face.

Your melee questions are easily answered: there is no Engagement System at this time (because me, along with a few others, broke it on the first day while getting raped by asapis), so being at melee on something has no advantage or disadvantage.

Stalking/Hiding: The RTs will go down after you gain more stealth. I'm not sure about being In City for Agents (or In Nature for Trackers). That'd be neat, though.

Experience: Definantly, hunting will most likely fill your pool faster than most anything else, though this is dependant upon how many hits you make on your prey. If you kill something in one hit, you won't get much; however, if it takes you ten or more, you're more likely to get a lot of experience. Level and relative skills are also factored into this, but if you hunt something that's a little challenging, while not too dangerous, you'll still see this effect.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Will I be very week and need to rest a while?

Your vit will be very low and so will your focus (I think? not a magic user so I don't pay that much attention) but other than that you won't have to wait too long.

Quote:
Will it be extremely easy for me to die again?

This depends upon two things; the first has to do with the "death penalty." It just drops all your skills a certain percent. It's pretty low, under 10%, so you won't really be affected while your skills are also low. You work it off by gaining exp, and it doesn't take long. So, your defense/offense will be slightly lower for a while, and you'll have bad vit..it will be easier to die, but probably not "extremely easy."

I've never had this happen myself, but in the help thing IG it says, "If you fail to return to your grave in one hour, the items will be transported to the back room of the pawn shop where they can be bought back."

I found advancing sometimes kept things at melee; they tend to stay longer at least if they know you're attacking them. But, once you get past the first three critters, things will tend to become more hostile and they won't run away anymore.

It is incorrect that you will not parry with a gun. I parry with my gridgun. But, when we go live (and possibly before) you will damage your gun parrying with it. No danger of that right now tho.

Personally I would pick one thing to go with, but you have to consider that you can never parry magic or ranged weapons..but you can dodge their attacks. So, if you do like parry, and you train it up, but you also train up evasion..eventually you'll default to parrying but evade when that doesn't work. I don't think it works like that yet tho. I don't think parrying has anything to do with strength; I think it's coordination.

I wouldn't worry about maxing out your triple-trainable skills just because you can..I would wait until you find a use for them.

Certain things do fill your mind faster than others, yes. Mentality and intellect do affect your mind pool. They have different affects, I forget which ones go where, but basically, they make your pool bigger while at the same time making it drain slower, so it kind of balances out. The only reason I would train either is for their other affects, like with psionic abilities or spells.

You will have to completely "reroll" when we go live..pick new features etc., so your skills will not be the same as now, but you will have enough skill points to train 'em all back up.

Edit: William covered a couple things before I could, but uh..you can never hear correct info too many times, heh.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Death: If you restore you lose the experience as you pointed out, any cyber sockets you have (which cost $2000 each to replace - and note you lose only the socket, not the item in it i.e. arm or hand). You will have low health, stamina and focus when you land in the imaging center and it takes a while, maybe a minute to finish a restoral. You will also have a "death penalty" which lowers your skills by a percentage, and is worked off by gaining experience. If you are revived you also have the death penalty but it is halved. When you restore your items are placed in a grave at your death site, which only you can access. You have an hour RL time to collect your items, then they go to the back room of the pawn and you pay a small fee to get them back. That fee is based on the value of the items.

Combat: The engagement system isn't implemented. ASSESS, ENGAGE, etc are but they provide no benefit and were only put in to be tested.

Ambush: Unforunately, there is no good remedy right now. But I might be able to fiddle with things some.

You can parry with a gun, or any weapon. You can even parry unarmed. However, your opponent can't parry a shot. You cannot parry pulse shots, bullets, arrows, magic bolts, etc. You definitely should train evasion as well, as there are some cases where evasion is the only defense. Parry works better than evasion when it can be used, so there is a benefit to training both, but many don't train both because of the skill cost. It's a personal choice. Strength factors into parry, but coordination factors more.

Skills: Intimdation has very little use *right now*. Disguise is no longer an actual skill, it is now part of Streetwise.

Experience Pool: Yes different activities fill your mind/pool more quickly than others. There are situational cases too. For example, fighting an easy critter nets less experience. Casting amplify stars nets a lot of experience the first cast, but successive casts net far less unless other mages are also casting it.

Live: There will be a completely different skill system in place, which is described here on the boards. You will go through a sort of reallocation process, to put it crudely.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I'll explain the roles of intellect and mentality on the experience pool. First off, the concept of "waste". As you experience new things, not all of what you are experiencing will be processed into learning. This is reflected in waste. Each time some of your pool drains into your actual experience, some points in the pool are also thrown away. For example, if you drain 15 points from your pool, you might also throw away 10. So your pool lowered by 25 points but only 15 went into your actual experience.

This results in your pool becoming empty quicker, but without you learning any more than you would have with no waste. It means you have to put more work into keeping your pool full.

Training intellect lowers waste, and eventually you can negate it completely. If you have no waste, then every single point that comes out of your pool goes into your actual experience. So you would drain 15, waste 0, for a net of -15 pool, +15 actual exp, and no waste.

Training both intellect and mentality increases the size of your experience pool so it can hold more. This allows you to have more downtime between hunts or whatever the case may be. Intellect has more influence than mentality in this.

Finally, you will fill your pool more quickly than normal with good intellect. With very high intellect, you can fill your pool basically twice as quickly as with poor intellect.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I vote for negative waste being a possibility with extremely uber amounts of intellect.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I vote for negative waste being a possibility with extremely uber amounts of intellect.

So you fill your pool up by draining your pool?

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Getting Started in Haelrahv » A few questions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: